From the Kitchen

The Arad Evans Inn’s New American cuisine makes it Fayetteville’s hidden gem

Photo by Callie Weinstein

The Arad Evans Inn is located in a Federalist-style residence in Fayetteville and offers three dining areas.

If you’re looking for a getaway, or even just a date-night spot with your significant other or friends, I’ve got the perfect place for you.

The Arad Evans Inn is the hidden gem of Fayetteville and one of the best restaurants around Syracuse. I recently went to Arad Evans for a birthday dinner and enjoyed every dish I tried.

The quaint spot was built nearly 200 years ago and has a dollhouse look and feel to it. Architecturally, it possesses characteristics that make it part of the Federalist Period (1795-1820). A broad roof overhang, grand piazza and the ornate gingerbread brackets adorn the interior of the house, representing the unique style of the Inn.

Arad Evans specializes in New American cuisine with French techniques. Their signature items include escargot, the house salad and their famous chocolate mouse tower dessert. There are also oysters that are available every day as a special. In order to keep customers interested, they have a seasonal menu that changes on the first Thursday of every month. There are also gluten free, dairy free and vegan menus available.

For appetizers, I tried the tuna tataki and charcuterie. The tuna was perfectly grilled and was topped in a delicious kimchi sauce. The sautéed squash, red pepper and carrots added to the dish made it exceptional with flavor. The charcuterie included an assortment of cheese and accouterments — I enjoyed the sweet taste of the fig jam combined with the fresh artisan cheeses.

I ordered the halibut as my main dish, which is broiled in a white wine and served on a bed of wild rice and grilled pineapple. This was a tropical version of halibut, but then combined with pineapple and beurre monté, it was exceptional. I also tried my friend’s petite filet dish; it was cooked in a bordelaise sauce and was delciously executed. The filet mignon was tender and soft, melting right in my mouth.

For dessert, I tried the famous chocolate tower. Topped in fresh berries, the dessert is a decadent combination of rich dark chocolate and creamy mouse with a fruity finish. The hard chocolate shell surrounds the mouse filling, giving the dessert a very attractive look to it. This dessert is a must try.

The restaurant opened in 1995 as an inn providing overnight stays to customers. Within two months of the opening, proprietor Jason Thomas decided to turn the bedrooms into dining rooms. Throughout the first year of renovations, he introduced other meals and concentrated on serving dinner seven nights a week. From that point on, The Arad Evans Inn became a fine dining spot.

The restaurant is housed in a Federalist-style residence, offering three dining areas. Arad Evans offers dinner nightly in the formal dining rooms for an intimate meal. Their everyday dining provides more of a casual experience and is served in the bistro area and on the outdoor seasonal deck. There are also private dining rooms for events like business meetings, graduation/birthday parties, parents weekend, etc.

Aaron Ames has been the executive chef for five years and has been recognized for his work by countless Trip Advisor reviews. His food is cooked from scratch and there are no MSG’s or unnatural ingredients. Ames deals only with antibiotic-free and hormone-free meats and poultry. In addition, all of the fish is either line caught, wild or sustainably farmed.

The only complaint I had was with the service. The waitress was slow and unconcerned with our party’s comfort. She rushed us to order and was not very accommodating with making minor changes to our dishes.