Syracuse QB AJ Long medically disqualified because of multiple concussions

Margaret Lin | Staff Photographer

AJ Long, who started five games in 2014, was medically disqualified Tuesday because of multiple concussions suffered at SU.

Syracuse quarterback AJ Long has been medically disqualified due to multiple concussions suffered at SU, he confirmed to The Daily Orange Tuesday night. The news was first reported by Stephen Bailey of Syracuse.com. Long hasn’t played yet this season and was also recovering from a right hand injury that he suffered during the offseason.

Long also said he will stay at SU despite not being able to play football. Team physician Dr. James Tucker disqualified Long from any future contact sports at Syracuse on Tuesday after reviewing his concussion history.

“We appreciate AJ’s hard work and the contributions he’s made to our program,” Syracuse head coach Scott Shafer said in a release. “I look forward to watching him continue to grow both as a student and as a young man. I wish him the best.”

Last season, he started five games and appeared in six, throwing for 935 yards and four touchdowns. In a loss to North Carolina State, he threw for a career-high 307 yards and two touchdowns.

Long is the fourth SU player to be disqualified due to concussions in the last two years, joining offensive tackle Kyle Knapp, defensive end Tyler Marona and defensive lineman Isaiah Johnson.