Syracuse football primer: What to know for Virginia week

Courtesy of The Tampa Bay Times

Syracuse plays Virginia on Saturday. Here's what you need to know in the week leading up. Eric Dungey (pictured) makes his second start after returning from injury.

Syracuse (3-2, 1-0 Atlantic Coast) looks to bounce back after a 45-24 loss at South Florida on Saturday. The Orange will face its second ACC opponent of the year when it travels to Virginia (1-4, 0-1). The game will be played Saturday at 3:30 p.m. and broadcast on regional sports networks. Here’s everything you need to know as SU begins a stretch of seven consecutive conference games.

Hoos on first

Virginia’s only win this season came by six points against William and Mary, a Division I-AA team. In all other games, the Cavaliers have been outscored, 150-76. Tailback Taquan Mizzell ranks third in the ACC with 126.4 all-purpose yards per game. Quarterback Matt Johns ranks second in the conference in passing yards per game with 239.6. The last time these two teams played was in 2005 when UVA hit a last-second field goal to come away with a 27-24 win.

Moving on up

Freshman running back Jordan Fredericks is listed as the starter on this week’s depth chart. Until this point, he had been listed behind junior running backs Devante McFarlane and George Morris. Fredericks leads SU in both rushing yards and attempts with 236 and 42, respectively. He also has two rushing touchdowns and a receiving one. Against USF, McFarlane didn’t have a single carry and Morris had just 7 yards on five carries.

Injury report

According to Syracuse.com, tight end Kendall Moore didn’t travel due to injury. Quarterback Eric Dungey and hybrid Ervin Philips both returned to action against USF. Left tackle Ivan Foy and right tackle Omari Palmer both missed a portion of the game against the Bulls. Foy didn’t return.