Election 2016

SU professor will continue to teach while running for Congress

Logan Reidsma / Photo Editor

Eric Kingson, an SU professor, is running to represent New York state's 24th district in the House of Representatives. He will continue to be a professor during his campaign.

A Syracuse University professor who is running for political office isn’t violating any institutional rules. In fact, SU encourages faculty and staff to run for political office if they wish, as long as they operate within the university’s list of rules regarding the topic.

Eric Kingson, a professor of social work at SU, announced his intention to seek the Democratic nomination for New York state’s 24th Congressional District on Sept. 16. The 69-year-old will be both a congressional candidate and full-time professor. Colleen Deacon, an SU alumna and former Central New York Regional Director to Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand (D-NY), will run against Kingson as a Democrat for a seat in the House of Representatives.

According to SU’s policies on partisan political activity, guidelines for a faculty or staff member partaking in a political election are as follows:

• Individuals must display their views as their own and not associate their views with the university.
  • Individuals are not to use the university’s name or resources, including Listserv, office supplies and equipment, in connection with the campaign.
  • Individuals cannot place the university’s name or insignia on any documents used to carry out their political campaign.
  • Individuals may not work on related political activities during working hours.

The commitment of partaking in the political arena and the needs of the university are discussed with the school and departments involved.

“All professors negotiate with the dean and faculty chairs of the department they are in to determine which classes they will teach depending on the needs of the unit,” said Carrie Smith, program director of the School of Social Work in the David B. Falk College of Sport and Human Dynamics. “This is a process done every semester by all professors whether they wish to participate in politics or not.”

Smith said Kingson’s dual role will likely not affect Kingson’s work as a professor since it is very early in the process.

“I like teaching, (and the) election is a long ways away,” Kingson said.

If Kingson were to win the election, however, there would be negotiations to deal with his time away. Kingson would have the option to take a leave of absence or retire from the university and return at a later time if he chose, Smith said. These negotiations are no different than those that occur when a professor decides to take time to do research.

A plan will be set in place through human resources and move up the ranks for further approval, if Kingson decides to take a leave of absence, Smith said.

In the meantime, as a professor and congressional candidate, Smith said she believes that by making this type of commitment, Kingson will be a positive role model to his students more than anything else.

“(If someone is) willing to put their views out in a very public way and advocate for what they believe in … it is good for people to partake in that way,” Smith said.