SU Health Services annual flu clinic to be held Wednesday

Syracuse University Health Services will host its annual flu clinic in Flanagan Gymnasium on Wednesday.

This is the second year the school will be coordinating with the Onondaga County Department of Health on the point-of-distribution (POD) system, which simulates an emergency situation in which there is a need for a large-scale inoculation at SU.

SU Health Services Nurse Manager LeeAnne Lane emphasized the importance of vaccination, especially for college students.

“Our goal is to keep the student in the classroom so they can learn,” she said. “That’s what they’re there for. When you get the flu, you can be out for a few days or even weeks. That’s a lot of class to miss.”

Last year, more than 1,500 people received vaccines at SU. Michele Frontale, supervising pharmacist at SU Health Services, said she hopes this year’s numbers are closer to 2,000.

Brenda Dano, director of nursing at the Onondaga County Health Department, said college students are especially susceptible to contracting the virus during flu season between living in close quarters, not getting enough sleep, not eating right and undergoing a lot of stress.

Following a recent story from West Windsor, New Jersey, of a nurse who gave 67 patients flu vaccines from a reused syringe, members of SU Health Services and the Onondaga Department of Health assured that the flu vaccines at the clinic will be clean. All 67 people who received the vaccine were tested for hepatitis and HIV. None so far have tested positive.

“We use all pre-filled syringes,” Frontale said. “Everything is under sterile conditions. The syringes and needles are always disposed immediately after use.”

Paul Smyth, manager of emergency medical services at SU, said he is confident the controls in place would prevent a contamination from occurring at SU.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has not yet released information about this year’s flu strain. The flu can begin as early as October and last as late as May, according to its most recently updated information. The centers still recommend everyone between the ages of 6 months to 65 years old get vaccinated now, unless they are pregnant or have certain medical conditions.

Karyn Johnson, a public health educator at the Onondaga County Health Department, said it is important for students to get vaccinated sooner rather than later, even if it does not fully protect everyone.

“The effectiveness of the flu vaccine varies from year to year, as well as the age and health status of the person getting the vaccine,” she said. “It’s not perfect, but it’s the best defense we have.”

Last year, the central New York area had a very bad flu season, with the Onondaga County Health Department reporting almost 3,000 flu cases, up from more than 1,000 the year before.

Dano and Johnson dispelled common myths about the flu vaccine and inoculation in general.

“Because the flu shot is a dead virus, there’s no way you can get the flu from it,” Johnson said. “It takes about two weeks after the flu vaccine is administered for the body to develop the immunity. In the process of building immunity, someone may feel sluggish or achy a few days after getting a vaccine.”

The clinic runs from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. and is free to students, faculty and staff who bring a valid SU or SUNY-ESF ID.