Student Association

SA Briefs: 4 takeaways from Monday’s meeting (Oct. 12)

Here are four takeaways from Student Association’s Monday night meeting in the Hall of Languages:

1. Potential imprisonment for off-campus underage drinking

The Syracuse Common Council will vote on a bill Tuesday that would make underage drinking off-campus while making excessive noise an imprisonable offense, SA President Aysha Seedat said on Monday. Common Councilor Pamela Hunter told Seedat and Vice President Jane Hong on Friday that the bill is likely to pass.

If passed, even first offenders would be subject to potential imprisonment. But Hunter told Seedat and Hong that it is much more likely that first and second offenders would be fined. The fines would be as low as $100 for a first offence and as much as $500 for third and subsequent offences. The law would be complaint-driven.

1. “Kiss Cam” bill passed

The assembly passed a bill calling on SU’s administration to reform the use of the “Kiss Cam” at SU football and men’s basketball games. The bill suggests that the Kiss Cam only be used on people, both in the student section and elsewhere, who are in relationships. This would be done by pre-determining those who appear on the “Kiss Cam.”

1. Stipend for unpaid internships

An SA initiative that would provide a stipend to students with unpaid internships is currently pending Syracuse administration approval, SA Vice President Jane Hong said on Monday. Hong hopes the initiative, which would fund 10 students, will be in effect by next summer.

1. University Senate member elected

For the second straight week, SA elected a new student member to University Senate. After electing Madeleine Fitzgerald last week, the assembly elected Roshad Demetrie Meeks, a junior economics major, on Monday. Meeks, who’s also the president of Syracuse’s Alpha Phi Alpha, will serve on the diversity committee of University Senate.