Student Association

SA Briefs: 3 takeaways from Monday’s meeting (Oct. 5)

Here are three takeaways from Student Association’s Monday night meeting in the Hall of Languages.

1. “Kiss Cam” proposal introduced

SA President Aysha Seedat introduced a proposal to change the use of the “Kiss Cam” at Syracuse football and basketball games. The proposal calls for SU to ban the use of the Kiss Cam in the student section and limit it to only “those most likely in a relationship.”

2. Members elected

SA’s assembly elected members to Finance Board, Judicial Review Board and University Senate.

To the Finance Board, the assembly elected Nachanan Mekto, a sophomore finance and supply chain dual major, to serve as its representative. For general student members, it also elected Blair Finkel, a senior finance and marketing major; Kevin Gonzalez, a junior accounting, finance and policy studies major; and Michael Lerner, a sophomore who is currently undeclared but intends to major in finance.

To the Judicial Review Board, the assembly elected Abdulaziz Al Sulaiti, a biology and policy studies major, and Krista Maloney, a sophomore policy studies major.

To the University Senate, the assembly elected Madeleine Fitzgerald, a freshman political science major who also serves on SA’s assembly.

3. Seedat updates assembly on Uber

Seedat updated the assembly on her progress in bringing a ride-hailing service, like Uber, to Syracuse.

Seedat said that the student government at the University at Buffalo has confirmed it will support an initiative to legalize ride-hailing services in upstate New York. She added that the student government at the University at Albany and the Rochester Intercollegiate Council, which includes student governments at the Rochester Institute of Technology and the University of Rochester, are likely to do the same.