Schools and Colleges

Q&A: Mary Beth Tinker talks Supreme Court decision, free speech

In 1965, at 13 years old, free speech activist Mary Beth Tinker chose to wear a black armband to school in support of a truce in the Vietnam War. Leaders at the Des Moines school suspended Tinker and four other students.

Despite the punishment she faced, her protest led to a landmark Supreme Court ruling in Tinker v. Des Moines, which upheld students’ free speech rights throughout the United States.

The Daily Orange spoke to Tinker ahead of her Friday visit to the S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications. Tinker’s presentation is in celebration of the First Amendment and Banned Books Week.

The Daily Orange: Do you remember ever thinking that your stance against your school would become such a big deal? What kind of feelings were going through your head?

Mary Beth Tinker: Absolutely not! The Supreme Court was great — a real statement about what education in democracy should be. I think one of my favorite parts of (the Constitution) is something to the effect that “students are persons under our Constitution, with the rights and responsibilities of persons.” It was a surprise to me that we won, and a really happy one. My dad was out of town, so my mom got ice cream and soda pop for us kids to celebrate.

The D.O.: What do you remember most from the whole Supreme Court experience?

M.B.T.: I barely remember it because I had just moved to a new city — St. Louis — in November of my junior year of high school, just before the Supreme Court ruling. I was preoccupied with issues like who I would be friends with in algebra class and my new girlfriend.

The D.O.: How did the Supreme Court ruling series of events chart the course for the rest of your life?

M.B.T.: The whole experience has defined my life. I always liked kids anyway, so I probably would have chosen a career involving kids, which I did — I’m a pediatric nurse. But because of the case, I’ve been able to spend a lot of time encouraging kids to stand up for themselves and for a better, more just and peaceful world.

The D.O.: Who were your role models and individuals who inspired you?

M.B.T.: My role models were kids, like those who took part in the Birmingham Children’s March in 1963 and my parents, who put their ideals into action instead of just talking about them.

The D.O.: What have you been involved in since then?

M.B.T.: Many issues, mostly having to do with racial justice, fair treatment for Muslims and all religious groups, for immigrants’ rights, economic equality and advocating for children’s rights and issues. I’ve been involved with trying to prevent public school closures and to reduce standardized testing and to give students a voice in all of that. Last week, I was at a climate action rally on the National Mall when the Pope was in D.C. I’m also active for Washington D.C. statehood, women’s rights and gay rights. I also stand up for diplomacy over war and for a two-state solution for Palestinians.

The D.O.: Why do you think free speech is important?

M.B.T.: Without free speech, we can’t take our world toward equality and justice.

The D.O.: What is your advice for future generations to come?

M.B.T.: I’ll quote Dr. Seuss, who I agree with when he was asked what message he had for youth. He said, “We can … and we’ve got to … do better than this.” I would add that when you join with others to work on that, it’s a great way of life.