SUNY-ESF

Q&A: EPA Regional Administrator Judith Enck talks climate change

Margaret Lin | Staff Photographer

EPA Regional Administrator Judith Enck will be discussing climate change at 7 p.m. on Tuesday in Event Space A and B in the Gateway Center on the SUNY-ESF campus.

Environmental Protection Agency Regional Administrator Judith Enck is making a visit to the State University of New York College of Environmental Science and Forestry.

Enck will deliver a presentation entitled, “Climate Change: A Call to Action,” Tuesday at 7 p.m. in Event Space A and B in the Gateway Center on the SUNY-ESF campus. Enck will discuss topics including the scope of problems presented by climate change, steps the EPA is taking to fight climate change and how individuals can help. Enck’s remarks will be followed by a question-and-answer period. The Daily Orange spoke to Enck in a preview for Tuesday’s event.

The Daily Orange: What led you to a career in the Environmental Protection Agency?

Judith Enck: When I was a college student (at The College of Saint Rose in Albany, New York), I was a volunteer with the New York Public Interest Research Group (NYPIRG). I learned about issues like recycling, the need to clean up toxic waste sites and we did a lot of work on acid rain. It opened my eyes to environmental problems facing our nation and the fact that one person can make a difference if you get involved. Ironically, 35 years later I’m still working on a lot of these same issues.

The D.O.: Global warming versus climate change, which is it?

J.E.: Climate change because it is more than just warming; it’s also intense storms, it involves drought and a lot of erratic weather.

The D.O.: What is the major misconception about climate change?

J.E.: That there is nothing we can do about it. There is a scientific consensus that climate change is here. The question is: What do we do and how much damage will be done before we are able to change the course? Some people feel like it’s too big of an issue, too overwhelming. Part of the presentation will talk about government policies, what can you do as an individual and what we can do as community.

The D.O.: How will climate change affect local wildlife?

J.E.: We don’t know. You don’t want to be making dramatic changes to a climate that has been the same for millions of years. Trees would change, animals would change, seasonal timing would change. The Adirondacks have become much hotter and wetter since climate change has arrived. Certain bird species are leaving. The Northeast has the highest concentration of invasive forest pests, which damage trees — the habitat for a lot of wildlife.

The D.O.: What measures should be taken to combat climate change locally?

J.E.: I’d like to see more of a commitment to investing in solar energy. There is a group in Syracuse called Solarize Syracuse which helps people install solar panels in their homes. There is no reason why Syracuse University and SUNY-ESF can’t get 100 percent of their electricity from renewable energy.

The D.O.: What are some ways that individuals can help combat climate change?

J.E.: There are easy ways and there are harder ways. Easy would be recycling, walking, riding a bike or carpooling, which doubles fuel efficiency. The harder ways are placing solar panels in school, home or business and buying an electric or hybrid electric car. There is no shortage of things we can do to combat climate crisis, but there is a shortage of leadership. All hands need to be on deck — the government, businesses and individuals — to commit to combating carbon.