Halloween 2015

Orange After Dark to bring students to Fright Nights at the Fair

Alex Erdekian | Asst. Feature Editor

Fright Night was a no-brainer Halloween-themed Orange After Dark event for program coordinator Lorena Silva and assistant director of student affairs Courtney Jones.

In the fall, the state fairgrounds is a place where visitors and community members can enjoy a variety of events, including dog shows, wine-tasting and concerts.

However, Syracuse is a popular destination during this time of year for Frankenstein, zombies, flying monkeys, jailed clowns and even a giant.

Since Oct. 2, the state fairgrounds has been hosting Fright Nights at the Fair on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays in the Beef Cattle Barn. Attractions at this year’s Fright Night include a clown prison, a chainsaw massacre, flying monkeys and a haunted mansion.

Orange After Dark is providing tickets and transportation at a discounted price of $3 for the event on Oct. 30. Orange After Dark’s ticket will allow students admission into each attraction. Planned in collaboration with Paradise Companies of New York, a vendor organizer, Fright Night’s last night this year will be Oct. 31.

“I think that getting off campus and taking a bus trip to somewhere that, if you go by yourself, is pretty expensive and if you come with us, it’s only three bucks, is a little more appealing than some on-campus events because there are so many things to do on campus, so sometimes the attraction is ‘let me get off campus for a few hours,’” said Orange After Dark program coordinator Lorena Silva.

Silva spoke about what she thinks the events can offer students other than an alternative to a night of partying.

“We find that people that aren’t from Syracuse or central New York really like our programs because it gives them a chance to see what Syracuse and the area really have to offer,” Silva said.

When creating the fall calendar for Orange After Dark, Fright Night was a no-brainer for Silva and assistant director of student affairs and SU and Daily Orange alumna, Courtney Jones. Not only does it fit perfectly with the Halloween spirit, but Fright Night is an extremely popular event, she said. Orange After Dark has taken students to Fright Night in the past and the reception has been overwhelmingly positive, she said.

Every Saturday for the last three weeks, the midnight movie program, which is co-sponsored by University Union and Orange After Dark, has shown a Halloween-themed movie in Gifford Auditorium. This weekend’s movie is “Sinister 2.”

However, “Fright Nights at the Fair” is by far the biggest Halloween-themed event that Orange After Dark sponsors.

“This is one of our higher-capacity and higher-volume events in terms of how many students we can take, and I’ve always heard reports of everyone having a really good time,” Silva said.

Orange After Dark is extremely close to selling out the 800 tickets it’s offering for “Fright Nights at the Fair”, Silva said.

Halloween-themed events provide Orange After Dark with an opportunity to be in holiday spirit without excluding anyone. This allows Orange After Dark to continue to provide fun for students of all age levels and ethnic backgrounds, Silva said.

Tickets for “Fright Nights at the Fair” are available at the Schine Student Center Box Office, and buses will leave on Friday night starting at 10:30 p.m.

“We know students like going. You’ll get students coming up to you and saying, ‘Oh man, I was so pumped to see it on the calendar again this year, and I went last year, and I can’t wait to go again this year,’” Jones said.