National

News to know: 12 stories to help you pass a current events quiz (Sept. 30–Oct. 7)

1. Russia starts airstrikes in Syria

Russia began airstrikes in Syria on Sept. 30 — just two days after President Barack Obama and Russian President Vladimir Putin met to discuss their different ways of handling the conflict in Syria.

More: Russian airstrikes

2. Palestinians no longer bound by Oslo Accords

Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas said his people are no longer bound by mutual agreements with Israel that began the Middle East peace process, including the Oslo Peace Accords in his address to the U.N. General Assembly on Sept. 30.

More: Abbas’ address

3. Court prevents payment to college athletes

The Federal Court of Appeals upheld NCAA restrictions that prevent college athletes from getting paid on Sept. 30. It rejected a lower court’s call for football and basketball players to be paid up to $5,000 per year in deferred compensation.

More: College athlete payment block

4. Government avoids shutdown

Congress prevented a government shutdown on Sept. 30 by approving a short-term spending bill that will fund federal agencies through Dec. 11. It did not cutoff funding for Planned Parenthood.

More: Shutdown avoided

5. Oregon community college shooter kills 9

Chris Harper Mercer killed nine people and himself when he opened fire at Umpqua Community College in Roseburg, Oregon on Oct. 1. Investigators say it may have been driven by religious rage and a fascination with the twisted notoriety of high-profile killers.

More: UCC shooting

6. Jobs report shows limited job growth

The jobless rate in the United States held steady at 5.1 percent in September, but wage gains stalled and only 143,000 new jobs were added — fewer than in recent months.

More: Jobs report

7. Education secretary to step down

Education Secretary Arne Duncan will step down in December and return to Chicago, despite President Barack Obama’s urge not to. He is one of the few original members of Obama’s Cabinet left.

More: Education secretary to step down

8. U.S. military airstrike hits Doctors Without Borders hospital

The United States military acknowledged that it may have killed 19 patients, staff members and others at a hospital run by Doctors Without Borders in Kunduz, Afghanistan on Saturday while firing on insurgents nearby.

More: Hospital airstrike

9. EPA tightens restrictions on ground-level ozone

The Environmental Protection Agency announced tighter restrictions on ground-level ozone on Oct. 1, which lowers the limit from 75 parts per billion to 70 parts per billion. It was the first change in ozone limit in seven years.

More: Ozone restrictions

10. U.S. cargo ship, El Faro, sinks

El Faro, a United States cargo ship, sunk off the coast of the Bahamas after sailing into the path of Hurricane Joaquin. The ship was carrying 33 crew members and the captain reported favorable weather conditions at the start of the trip.

More: El Faro

11. U.S., others reach Trans-Pacific Partnership

The United States entered into a trade agreement with Japan and 10 other countries on Monday, making it the largest regional trade accord in history. The deal will need to be approved by Congress, which could happen in the next few years.

More: Trans-Pacific Partnership

12. Justice Department to release 6,000 inmates early

The Justice Department will release about 6,000 inmates from prison early between Oct. 30 and Nov. 2 in the largest one-time release of federal prisoners in history. About one-third are foreign citizens who will be deported. The rest will go to halfway houses and home confinement.

More: Inmate release