Former associate director of LGBT Resource Center returns as interim director

Allen Chiu | Staff Photographer

Tiffany Gray was named the interim director of the SU LGBT Resource Center in August. Before that, Gray worked as the associate director of the center and as the director of the Office of Multicultural Affairs at Seattle University.

At a Pride Union event Wednesday to kick off LGBT History Month, Tiffany Gray listened as students shared their coming out stories and built community with each other.

“All I thought in that moment was, ‘I’m so glad students have this,’” Gray said. “When I was in college, it often felt like it was just me and my friends; a space like that didn’t exist.”

Gray has dedicated her professional career to building safe spaces and spreading social justice to campuses across the country. In August, Gray was named interim director of the LGBT Resource Center at Syracuse University after previously serving as the associate director from 2012-14.

Gray’s passion for social justice and desire to meet the need for these safe spaces is threaded in her career work. Before coming to SU, Gray was a residential life coordinator and foundations of leadership instructor at Sonoma State University in Rohnert Park, California. She carried out staff training and diversity and inclusion work.

She also served as the director of the Office of Multicultural Affairs at Seattle University before returning to SU in August. Gray said her work at other colleges and universities helped her to narrow her focus to LGBTQ resources. It also helped her to realize the vested interest she holds in the Syracuse community.

“Over the course of one year, I came back twice to reconnect and see students graduate,” Gray said. “I have always been drawn to this community. We have really smart, critical, in-depth thinkers that give me energy and fuel to understand my work and my role.”

Abby Fite, an administrative specialist at the LGBT Resource Center, said when they interviewed Gray to return as interim director, she blew everyone away.

“She’s brilliant, of course, but on top of that she’s funny, friendly and easy to talk to,” Fite said. “She’s the kind of person people gravitate toward.”

Fite also worked with Gray during her time as associate director. Fite said Gray’s ability to build relationships allowed the resource center to foster partnerships across campus, complete more intersectional work and better advertise its resources to students.

“This is by far the most fun place I’ve ever worked and also the place that produces the most valuable work,” Fite said. “I feel completely comfortable here, like we are intentionally redefining professionalism.”

Gray’s passion and the tone she sets as a boss provide a productive yet personal workplace, Fite said. Gray’s openness enables staff to bring their whole selves into the resource center, allowing the group to authentically explore how they work best together, Fite added.

In her time working with Gray, Fite said the resource center was able to make strides in influencing campus climate. Gray was a member of the leadership team that built the Safer People, Safer Spaces program, a three-hour interactive allyship development training session. Fite said the program is now the center’s main vehicle for diversity and inclusion education across campus.

As the center moves into a new year under Gray’s leadership, the staff is discussing the best ways to overcome new and old challenges. Fite said there are dozens if not hundreds of students identifying with transgender and queer communities on campus, and though the center aims to represent all of those identities, it faces real limitations in terms of staffing and funding.

“A staggering number of students, staff and faculty don’t even know that we exist,” Fite said. “It makes it challenging for us to program and influence the program in the way we would like to.”

Chase Catalano, former director of the LGBT Resource Center, said thoroughly representing a marginalized student population takes much more work than people expect. New issues are constantly arising and changing, he added.

“Just because gay marriage is legal doesn’t mean gay students aren’t assaulted physically and verbally on campuses or that trans students have access to enough resources,” Catalano said.

As director, Gray said one of her main missions and methods to combat issues as they arise is to listen to students.

One month ago, Gray met with a student who mentioned holding more events outside of the resource center. Gray said the center, located on the outskirts of campus on Ostrom Avenue, may not always be accessible or appealing to those seeking community or resources, and she wanted to address that need.

On Oct. 1, the center held a kickoff event for Coming Out Month at the Jabberwocky Café. Students shared stories and enjoyed food, games and each other’s company, Gray said.

“When I ask students their opinions, I truly mean it,” Gray said. “Their experiences and perspectives strengthen my ability to do my job and have a full breadth for who our students are and who people are.”

Gray said a part of her job is recognizing that she has an opportunity to be a voice for those students, and sparking conversations with administrators and professionals who may not have been previously challenged to think about social justice or issues that don’t directly effect them.

“I have an incredible privilege to be in spaces where I have the influence to impact change,” Gray said. “I take every opportunity that I get to be a voice for those who don’t often have a space at the table. I try to make sure that I live that and do it with integrity, meaning and purpose.”