Documentary to be shown at SU discusses prevention of a ‘second Holocaust’

A new documentary being shown at Syracuse University tells about a group of WWII fighter pilots that launched a secret mission to prevent a “second Holocaust.”

“A Wing and a Prayer,” a PBS documentary about a group of World War II veterans who fought for the newly formed state of Israel in 1947, will be screened Monday at 5 p.m. in 060 Eggers Hall. The screening is being sponsored by both the Middle Eastern Studies and the Jewish Studies departments. 2015 is the 70th anniversary of the end of WWII.

The film follows a group of American aviators who illegally smuggled in weapons to save a number of besieged Palestinian Jews during the 1948 Arab-Israeli War. The soldiers were eventually pardoned for their acts of defiance by President Bill Clinton.

Narrated by actor Billy Baldwin, “A Wing and a Prayer” provides interviews with members of the operation, including with the group’s leader, Al Schwimmer. The 93-year-old reveals his story to producer Boaz Dvir, an award-winning filmmaker.

Dvir said his inspiration for the film was his grandfather, a Holocaust survivor who also fought in Israel after WWII. His grandfather told him that when Schwimmer and his group of recruits got to Israel they were fighting with Nazi weaponry, but his grandfather didn’t know why. Dvir created the film to answer his grandfather’s question: “Why were they fighting with Nazi weaponry?”

“Young people need to see and access this information because it is a story that’s never been told; it’s our history,” Dvir said.

Dvir described the film as “inspiring” and “mind-blowing.” He added that one of the greatest moments in his life was speaking to Schwimmer.

Miriam Elman, an associate professor of political science at SU, said she finds it fascinating to think about whether or not American soldiers would do that for Israel today.

Elman said the film “illuminates origins and connects American Jews with Israel.”

Elman said she is excited about the film because it attracts interdisciplinary interests. She added that it is a “powerful” and “riveting” film.