Liberal

Beckley-Forest: Boehner’s exit highlights Republican disunity, promises deadlock

The House of Representatives received the game-changing news in late September that Speaker John Boehner will resign his position and hand over the gavel to a successor in November.

The concerning thing is that Boehner’s exit seems likely to throw the House into chaos. It’s destabilizing to Congress and will hasten the disintegration of the Republican Party into separate camps of purposefully reckless right-wingers and beleaguered moderates.

Boehner’s Speaker term has been a tale of struggle. Despite being considered an arch-conservative since joining Congress, the Ohio politician has faced fierce criticism from the rising far-right within the House GOP for not taking a harder line in negotiations with President Barack Obama and the House Democrats. He faced near-constant fire from conservative talk radio, right-wing lobbying groups and the elected members of his own party’s rank-and-file.

The simple consensus on the Hill seems pretty obvious: Boehner crumbled. He’s finally fed up with the GOP’s clashing agendas, and the heat he’s taken for trying to keep his boisterous party in line.

The post-Boehner House will test the ability of the “establishment” Republican wing to hold the line against encroaching radicals who have co-opted much of the party’s message since the 2009 Tea Party insurgency.

Aside from the evangelical Christian extremism and hinted racial prejudice that have haunted the Tea Party’s legitimacy, Boehner and the GOP establishment he represented found difficulties with its aggressive hostility toward compromise. Eventually, this crusade mentality on social issues and budget agreements began to interfere with GOP business.

“They’re trying to pass deregulatory legislation, and meanwhile these radical conservatives are basically trying to bring down the House,” said Mark Rupert, an associate professor of political science at the Maxwell School of Citizenship who studies the conservative movement.

“Business conservatives don’t want to bring down the House,” Rupert added. “They’ve got a serious, vested interest in maintaining a stable environment for big business, so that capitalism can function.”

Boehner’s political skills, honed by over two decades on the Hill, deserve credit for keeping the House GOP from falling apart more than once over the past few years.

For example, the far-right at one point wanted the government to default on its debt over Obamacare, which would have sent a seismic shock through the financial system. The Republican establishment doesn’t want disruptions like that, nor do they want a shutdown with social conservatives over every budget.

“It’s bad for business,” Rupert said.

The Republican business-conservative-establishment bloc probably won’t lose its dominance in Congress or in the party, Rupert said.

Still, among the power-hungry partisans now circling the soon-to-be empty leadership House positions, such as Kevin McCarthy (R-CA) and Jason Chaffetz (R-UT), none of them seem well-suited to the unhappy role of keeping the far-right in check. In the case of right-wingers like Chaffetz, they may even hasten our government’s descent into deadlock.

Boehner’s departure reflects a disturbing state of affairs in the House, and seems to stand as yet another landmark in the Republican Party’s long race to the bottom.

Thomas Beckley-Forest is a sophomore newspaper and online journalism major. His column appears weekly. He can be reached at [email protected].