Rugby

Andrew Burdsall stands out as freshman for Syracuse rugby

As the sun began to descend on the field between Sadler and Lawrinson Halls, the grass became a practice gridiron for Andrew Burdsall.

A freshman second-row on a Syracuse team that includes players from some of the top rugby programs in the nation, Burdsall played rugby and football at athletic powerhouse St. Joseph’s (Pennsylvania) Prep in Philadelphia, where he was on the All-State junior varsity rugby team during his sophomore year. At St. Joesph’s the rugby team reached the state championship three out of the four times while Burdsall was there and won the 2011 state championship.

In a 64-point win two weeks ago, Burdsall scored his first try – rugby’s form of a touchdown – against Brockport. About two months into his college career, Burdsall has fit in seamlessly.

During his freshman year at St. Joesph’s he realized his calling was in rugby instead of football. A 6-foot-4, 230-pound defensive end, he found football to be less rewarding.

“Football is more one-dimensional, you’re either blocking, you’re tackling, or passing or catching,” Burdsall said. “In rugby you do almost everything. You run the ball, you tackle, you set up other players. It’s a very broad sport; you’re doing multiple things at the same time.”

Burdsall checked out schools with rugby teams ranging from local St. Joesph’s University in Philadelphia to Xavier University in Cincinnati, Ohio. Ultimately, he chose Syracuse because it provided a comforting environment and was a medium distance from home.

Burdsall, one of only four or five freshmen on the team, has fit in with the faster and more schemed college game. Captain Angus Bishop, who has been playing rugby since he was 9, has been impressed since Burdsall came to a preseason practice.

“It’s not very often that you’ll be getting a freshman out of high school who is 6-foot-3, 6-foot-4 and 240 pounds,” Bishop said. “He already has rugby experience and his knowledge of the game coming into the season was a big help.”

On a team that splits into three different tiers of experience, where kids usually work their way up from each team, Burdsall’s is already on the “A” team.

According to head coach Bob Wilson there are 55 players in total between teams A, B, and C and anyone, regardless of experience can try to work their way up without being cut.

Wilson praised his preparation, which has allowed Burdsall to fit in despite his age. He said Burdsall’s accolades and knowledge of the game, especially on offense, are noteworthy.

“He sees offensive opportunities, he supports offensive opportunities, he has helped to set up a few scores,” Wilson said. “Fortunately for us, at a position for us that we needed, he has been able to deliver.”

The team competes in the Empire Rugby Conference and while being highly competitive, hasn’t truly reached its potential.

Burdsall has found himself in the thick from the start, and in a position to help find a solution.

“We knew he had talent coming in,” Wilson said. “… For a first-year student he has fit in extremely well.”