Women's Soccer

Alex Lamontagne finding success for Syracuse as a playmaker

Logan Reidsma | Photo Editor

Alex Lamontagne has been more of a playmaker for Syracuse this season on offense.

Alex Lamontagne cracks a smile recalling the memory. The swift attacker now slices through opposing defenses for Syracuse, but not long ago she used to be the last line of defense against players like herself.

“When I was younger, I used to be a goalkeeper,” she said. “So I was kind of in that for a while and then I would play defense.”

It seems humorous now. In her second season at Syracuse, Lamontagne is tied for the team lead in goals this season. She spent the summer playing for Durham United FC of League 1 Ontario, where her 18 goals were one behind the team leader. Lamontagne has adapted her skill set to better fit Syracuse’s style of play. After showcasing her versatility, she’s reaping newfound success as a playmaker.

Lamontagne first picked up a soccer ball when she was 4. She was quick, and her speed carried onto the track where she ran competitively until she was 16.

On the soccer field, Lamontagne has found a home in front of the net, where that speed and exceptional footwork allow her to penetrate opposing defenses.

“She does a lot of things very, very well,” said Tony LaFerrara, Lamontagne’s coach on Durham United FC “Speed is one of those things … She can shoot the ball and she loves to score goals. I mean, she just loves to score.”

But during her first year at Syracuse, Lamontagne was forced to adapt to an American style of soccer.

Discrepancies became more evident when she looked at her friends in Ontario, Canada who played the ball straight up the field in a more direct manner.

“The Canadian national team has a history of playing more direct. Play the ball long early and players like Alex run onto it,” said Syracuse head coach Phil Wheddon, who has international coaching experience for the men’s and women’s U.S. national teams.

Now, Lamontagne has shifted to the side.

Instead of gathering the ball and simply streaking down the field, she takes an extra touch or two in Syracuse’s tamed possession-oriented style.

“My freshman year I was kind of adjusting to that,” she said. “… I’m playing out wide so it’s more combining with my other teammates and then going up top.”

And while her speed perfectly suits the direct style of play in Canada, her crisp footwork offers a similar match at Syracuse.

Maddie Iozzi lives 10 minutes away from Lamontagne in Canada and grew up playing with her. Each of them played for LaFerrara this summer.

Iozzi said Lamontagne is prolific at sliding the ball under the legs of unsuspecting defenders — also known as a nutmeg — a move she executed to perfection Sunday against Louisville to sneak into the box.

“She loves to (nutmeg) people,” said Iozzi. “And over the summer she would just (nutmeg) people left, right and center … Everyone knows she’s going to do it but she still gets away with it.”

After a high-scoring summer, Wheddon said he’s got a boost in confidence from Lamontagne. She’s garnered attention from the Canadian national team and has solidified her importance on the field for the Orange.

She’s adapted her game to better fit the style of play at Syracuse. Still, her potential to man the goal again remains to be seen.

“Well, if something happens to Courtney (Brosnan), we’ll see what happens,” Wheddon said with a grin. “She might have to put on a pair of gloves.”