Orange Central

5 Orange Central events to check out this week

The annual Orange Central homecoming is this week, Oct. 19-25, and overlaps with alumni weekend, Oct. 22-25. The homecoming king and queen will be crowned at the SU-Pitt football game on Saturday Oct. 24, and other festivities include a tour of the newly renovated David B. Falk College of Sport and Human Dynamics, a shuttled campus tour and more.

David Bartell, the executive director at the Office of Alumni Engagement, said Orange Central offers graduates a chance to reconnect with each other and to make new memories while exploring some of the places that meant so much to them as students.

“Whether that’s catching a football game in the Dome or grabbing a slice at the Varsity or walking through the halls of Bird Library, the weekend is all about reminiscing and reconnecting,” Bartell said.

Here are five events to check out during Orange Central:

Medal of Honor Recipient Ceremony

When: Friday, Oct. 23 at 1 p.m.
Where: The Office of Veterans and Military Affairs
How much: Free

Syracuse University will honor Class of 1924 alumnus and late Sgt. William Shemin, who received the Medal of Honor in June, at a ceremony on campus Friday. The ceremony, which will take place at 1 p.m. at the Office of Veterans and Military Affairs, will be officiated by SU administrators, including Chancellor Kent Syverud and Vice Chancellor for Veterans and Military Affairs, Mike Haynie. A bronze plaque will also be unveiled to recognize Shemin’s receipt of the Medal of Honor. The plaque will be hung on the SU campus “for generations to come.” Members of Shemin’s family will also attend the ceremony, according to a release.

Syracuse 8 Display

When: Friday, Oct. 23 from 3 to 4 p.m.
Where: Huntington Hall Commons
How much: Free

The School of Education and the Office of Program Development will present a book talk, discussion and book-signing of “Leveling the Playing Field: The Story of the Syracuse 8.” Written by David Marc and published by Syracuse University Press, the book discusses the drama behind “Syracuse 8” — a group of nine black players who boycotted spring football practice in 1970, citing racial discrimination in the program.

Crouse Bell Tours

When: Saturday, Oct. 24, 8:30 a.m. to 9:15 a.m
Where: The Setnor School of Music
How much: Free

Alumni and students will have the opportunity to experience the College Crouse bells firsthand this weekend at the Setnor School of Music. The school will be opening its doors, displaying an organ demonstration and offering a tour of Crouse College chimes. Behind the towering walls of the Hogwarts look-alike, playing the bells is taken on by an unnamed on-campus organization. The group is composed of seven musicians from the College of Visual and Performing Arts who all play a wide arrange of musical numbers on the iconic bells.

Broad City

When: Saturday, Oct. 24, show starts at 8 p.m.
Where: Goldstein Auditorium
How much: $15

“Broad City” stars Abbi Jacobson and Ilana Glazer are performing in the second comedy show of the fall semester. The show, co-presented by Syracuse University Traditions Commission, will be preceded by the crowning of this year’s homecoming king and queen. Returning alumni can purchase tickets online for $15. There’s a maximum of two tickets sold per person. The stars and co-creators of Comedy Central’s hit show met while taking improv classes. “Broad City” is now entering its third season.

Stargazing at Holden Observatory

When: Friday, Oct. 23 from 7:30 to 9 p.m.
Where: The Holden Observatory
How Much: Free

Alumni and students get the chance to gaze at the stars through an almost 128-year-old telescope at the Holden Observatory. The recently renovated Patricia Druger Astronomy Learning Center, named after Professor Emeritus Marvin Druger’s late wife, will be open to the public. Druger wanted to memorialize Pat’s life and her love of SU in some way. He said he realized that making a donation to restore the Holden Observatory would be what Pat wanted.

Compiled by Alex Erdekian, Jacob Gedetsis, Justin Mattingly, Saniya More and Katherine Sotelo