Weekend plans

Weekend plans: NY state fair, Urban Cinematheque, football game

Benjamin Wilson | Staff Photographer

The lights begin to turn on at The New York State Fair's ferris wheel.

If you’re sitting around bored in your room this weekend — get up, put your shoes on and step away from the laptop. It’s the one-and-only three-day weekend of the year. Yes, the whole year. And with the end of syllabus week marks only a few more week of sunshine, so it’s time to explore new territory and get some fresh air. For those unsure where to go, Pulp has the run-down on what’s happening Friday through Monday.

New York State Fair

The oldest state fair in the country could be a city of it’s own. With rides, exhibits, shows and absolutely insane food there is a something for everyone in your friend group to enjoy. For music fans, Fifth Harmony will be playing in Chevy Court on Friday, Steve Miller Band on Saturday and Nick Jonas on Monday. Plus, if you go on Monday, you’ll also enjoy the added bonus of “Dollar Day,” when admission, rides and select refreshments are all $1 a piece. You can also catch a free ride to the fairgrounds from College Place on Saturday and Monday.

090315_P_NYSFspread4_BenjaminWilson_SP

Benjamin Wilson | Staff Photographer

Urban Cinematheque

Get a taste of the Syracuse arts scene with a cool movie on the side this Friday at 7 p.m. This year, the program is screening Mad Max: Fury Road, one of this summer’s biggest blockbusters. Free shuttles are available from the Schine Student Center to Everson Museum of Art and complimentary popcorn and lemonade will be offered, so you don’t have to spend a single cent. The movie is shown on an outdoor projector too, so it’s the perfect way to soak up the last moments of summer.

mad max fury road

Courtesy Warner Bros.

Syracuse Orange vs. Rhode Island Rams

The Loud House is ready and the face paint is already hitting the shelves for the first football game of the 2015 season. After a summer away from Syracuse athletics, it’s time to layer on the gear and come out to support the Orangemen for what looks to be a game with good winning potential. Even if you didn’t get season tickets, single game tickets are still available, so roundup some friends and brush up on your alma mater. Bonus for freshmen: your tickets are free.

081915_S_FootballFortDrumscrimmagegallery_LoganReidsma_PE-5

Logan Reidsma | Photo Editor

Miranda Lambert

Be the first to see the brand-new Lakeview Amphitheater this Thursday at the Miranda Lambert concert. It is the only event in the venue this season and is led by a country music powerhouse, so you will be sure to get a good show. Lawn tickets are only $35 dollars, which — for a $49 million venue — isn’t too bad.

Eastside Community Festival

Venture out into the community this weekend with a stop at the Eastside Community Festival. Running from 12 p.m. to 6 p.m., the small local festival is a great way to unplug from fast-paced campus life and get to know the city. Admission is free, but food and crafts vendors will require some extra pocket change.