VPA professor to serve as screenwriter, producer in film about a famed CNY boxer

Producer, screenwriter and Syracuse University professor Owen Shapiro is currently working on the production of a film about a famed central New York boxer, set to be filmed in the area.

Shapiro, a professor of film at SU’s College of Visual and Performing Arts, will serve as a screenwriter and producer for “Basilio,” an upcoming feature length film that depicts the life of boxer Carmen Basilio.

The film is based on Gary Youmans’ book, “The Onion Picker: Carmen Basilio and Boxing in the 1950s.” Production is set to begin in the spring of 2016. Shapiro said three people collaborated on the script and eventually decided they wanted to produce the film themselves.

Though the script was well-received by critics and actors, there have been issues getting funds, since producing a movie independently means studios aren’t going to bankroll production, Shapiro said.

As a result, the film’s producers have decided to crowdfund the film through the website Indiegogo.com. The campaign has raised $1,455 of its $50,000 goal as of Sunday night.

Everything in this film is based on their stories, their memories of Carmen.
Owen Shapiro

“Basilio” will be shot almost entirely in central New York, although Shapiro said he hopes to get some well-known cinematographers and producers from Hollywood or New York City. Students will also have the opportunity to get involved with the filming of the project, Shapiro said.

“When we do make the film, I would imagine that we’ll have a lot of kids from Syracuse and central New York in the film,” Shapiro said, adding that there will likely be roles available for a number of students.

The film is told from several different points of view: Donny Hamilton and Greg Sorrentino — both boxers, Onondaga Chief Oren Lyons, and Kay Basilio —Basilio’s first wife. Academy Award nominee and Golden Globe winner Sally Kirkland has agreed to play the role of Kay.

“Everything in this film is based on their stories, their memories of Carmen,” Shapiro said.

Carmen Basilio was born to Italian immigrants in central New York in 1927. He began his professional boxing career in Binghamton, New York, first knocking out Jimmy Evans and later beating Bruce Walters.

The real-life Basilio was close with Syracuse University alumnus Oren Lyons, who was an All-American goalkeeper for the Syracuse University men’s lacrosse team and a strong advocate for indigenous rights.

“[Basilio] is one of the few white men to be given an Indian name,” Shapiro said. “There’s a special story between the Native American community and Carmen Basilio.”

He eventually rose to world champion of the welterweight division by knocking out incumbent Tony DeMarco in 12 rounds. Subsequently, he moved up a weight class and in what is likely his most famous fight, defeated middleweight champion Sugar Ray Robinson.

Basilio retired with a career record of 56 wins, 16 losses and 7 draws, with 27 wins coming by knockout. Following retirement, Basilio taught physical education at Le Moyne College in Syracuse and worked as a sausage salesman.