State

This week in New York state and Syracuse politics: Sept.13–20

Logan Reidsma | Photo Editor

Eric Kingson, a social work professor at SU, officially announced that he is challenging Rep. John Katko for his seat in the U.S. House of Representatives on Wednesday.

Mahoney proposes $1.266 billion budget for 2016

Onondaga County Executive Joanie Mahoney proposed a $1.266 billion budget for the county that would slightly decrease the property tax rate and increase the sewer unit charge on Tuesday. She also asked to postpone the vote on future county budgets until Dec. 6.

The proposed budget is slightly less than this year’s $1.268 billion budget.

More: Onondaga County tax rate drops | Mahoney suggests moving future budget votes to December

Rep. Richard Hanna breaks with GOP over Planned Parenthood

U.S. Rep. Richard Hanna, a three-term Republican from Oneida County, was one of three GOP House of Representatives members to separate with the party on a vote to defund Planned Parenthood on Friday. The bill passed through the House of Representatives with a vote of 241-187.

More: Rep. Richard Hanna splits with GOPHouse GOP votes to defund Planned Parenthood

Cuomo’s aide shot in NYC dies

Carey Gabay, an aide to New York state Gov. Andrew Cuomo who was shot in New York City before the West Indian Day parade, died Wednesday, police said. Gabay, a first deputy general counsel at the Empire State Development Corp., was shot in the head by a stray bullet.

“Today we are all incredibly saddened by the news from Carey Gabay’s family,” Cuomo said in a statement on Wednesday. “I ask that all New Yorkers please join me in keeping both Carey and his family in their thoughts and prayers during this difficult time.”

More: Gabay dies from gunshot | Cuomo’s statement

SU professor starts campaign for Congress

Eric Kingson, a 69-year-old professor of social work at Syracuse, announced his campaign for Congress in Thornden Park on Wednesday. Kingson is the first democratic to announce he is running for the nomination to represent New York’s 24th congressional district.

More: Kingson launches campaign