Fast Forward Syracuse

Telecommunications and mobile devices compliance deadline is Wednesday

The deadline for compliance with Syracuse University’s new telecommunications and mobile devices policy is Wednesday.

The policy, which was adopted in July, named AT&T the preferred cellular provider for the university and seeks “to increase data security and plan flexibility, while reducing University costs,” according to an SU News release.

Wednesday’s deadline was set for a few parts of the policy, including the transition of university-provided cellphone numbers and devices to a personally funded cellular plan (for individuals who do not qualify for a university-provided device); transitioning qualifying cellular users to AT&T; and eliminating redundant cellular service devices, according to the release.

“We’ve had a good response to the program since the July implementation,” said Al Weinberger, senior director of technical systems and services for the Division of Advancement and External Affairs and a telecom initiative team member, in the release. “Moving people toward policy compliance will help manage the mobile device costs dramatically.”

A recent campus-wide survey showed a nearly even split between current cellular providers Verizon and AT&T, according to the release. AT&T was chosen “because of its plan flexibility and greater cost savings potential.”

The new telecommunications policy will save the university about $250,000 a year, according to a May SU News release.