Editorial Board

Syracuse University football should schedule quality teams

Syracuse football should continue its strategy of scheduling games based on a three-to-one model, despite the argument that Syracuse University’s nonconference football schedule should be adjusted to face less competitive teams.

A three-to-one model means that one game every season is against an upper-tier Power Five conference team that is consistently a national contender, while the other three games are scheduled against weaker opponents.

While SU is required to play at least one power conference team every season for its four-game nonconference schedule, continuing this method of scheduling more reputable opponents is in the best interest of the football program at this time. When SU plays a premiere team in the Carrier Dome, the game brings large crowds, increases visibility of the team and encourages the football program to see how it stacks up against top talent.

The game against Louisiana State on Saturday represents that benchmark this season, while Rhode Island, Central Michigan and South Florida are all more likely wins for SU.

Bringing high-profile games to the Dome maintains people’s interest in the football program. Continuing to schedule opponents of this scale, like the announced series with the Wisconsin Badgers, could also help build the program to the point where it can win its more difficult games.

Using this scheduling strategy is also an effective way for the Orange to attract recruits. Ideally, picking up three wins every season and having the fourth game on national television before conference games even start is a huge draw for potential players.

Although an altered schedule to include four projected winning games has the potential to give the Orange the highest chances of going 4-0 and making it to a bowl game, this would not be the best method considering these schedules are made several years in advance.

Given the complexities of scheduling and the benefits of bringing a high-profile opponent to the Carrier Dome, a three-to-one method will best serve the Orange moving forward.