Men's Soccer

Syracuse finds reliable source of offense in set pieces

Riley Bunch | Staff Photographer

Freshman Miles Robinson delivered his first collegiate goal on Tuesday off a set piece, one of several that has proved fruitful for the Orange.

Kamal Miller was shocked.

Miles Robinson jumped in the air and deflected a ball into the net with the back of his head. Robinson’s head rose up higher than the outstretched arms of 6-foot-4 Wake Forest goalie Alec Ferrell.

“It was an incredible goal,” Miller, a freshman defender for Syracuse said. “To myself I said, ‘Wow, I’ve never seen that before.’”

The goal was Robinson’s first, which he earned on Friday, then he scored again on a header against Binghamton on Tuesday. In the last two games, three of SU’s four goals have come on set pieces. Robinson and the Orange (4-2-1, 0-1-1 Atlantic Coast) hope to extend its recent success on offensive restarts when they take on Pittsburgh (4-2-1, 0-2 ACC) at 7 p.m. on Friday at SU Soccer Stadium.

In the 38 corner kick attempts and numerous free kick opportunities this season prior to the Wake Forest game, Syracuse had been unsuccessful every time.

But then Robinson scored six minutes into the match for the Orange’s only goal of the night. In the second, Robinson struck another header that floated just wide and Miller directed a bouncing headed ball at the post that the goalie made a diving save on.

“I thought for really the first time this year we were dangerous on restarts,” SU head coach Ian McIntyre said after the game.

Still, heading into the Binghamton game, McIntyre was unsatisfied. He said on Monday that his team probably hadn’t converted enough of its set piece chances.

A day later, his players obliged. Robinson headed in a free kick in the first half. Miller took advantage of a rebound from a Robinson shot off another free kick to pocket the game-winning goal.

“You guys have been talking about restarts all week so good job,” McIntyre said to a reporter. “We got a couple of them tonight. Sometimes it takes that.”

Robinson is tall, fast and can jump high, midfielder Julian Buescher said, adding that he’s a “monster” who is “made for set pieces.” Teams such as Wake Forest have tried double teams on Robinson to counter his abilities, but he’s still able to look for the open spaces and to attack.

Miller, on the other hand, prefers to plant his feet and use his body to shield his opponents so he can direct the ball more accurately. While setting up for restarts, Miller notices the faces of whoever is defending him to see whether he looks like he wants the ball.

Against Louisville on Sept. 11, Miller broke free of the defender marking him and won a header, nearly sneaking it inside the post, if not for a diving stop by the goalie. On the play, Miller noticed by the defender’s facial expression and he didn’t look ready.

The freshman duo says the combination of their two styles keeps opponents off balance. And in practice, Robinson teaches Miller to be physical, while Miller gives tips on accuracy.

With nine different players having scored and none having more than three goals, the Orange hasn’t been able to rely on anyone or any area to consistently get on the board.

In the last two games, Robinson and SU’s offensive restarts have developed into a dependable source of chances and goals — though the sample size is small.

Continuing that threat will be beneficial for a team that generates nearly three times the amount of corner kicks as its opponents.

Said McIntyre: “If we can chip in with goals on restarts it’ll help us.”