Softball

Syracuse continues exhibition season with 11-2 win over Le Moyne

Six weeks after winning a gold medal at the Pan-American games with Canada, Syracuse pitcher Jocelyn Cater took the mound once again, this time wearing orange.

After hitting the first batter of the game, Cater, a senior, settled in, striking out 11 and giving up only 2 runs.

For Cater, it’s all about keeping her mind in line and staying focused.

“I think next pitch, next batter, because the next hit could be a home run,” Cater said, “I just have to battle my way through things.”

Cater led the charge and Syracuse’s offense did the rest as the Orange took an 11-2 win over Le Moyne on Friday at SU Softball Stadium to continue its fall exhibition season.

Sophomore Olivia Martinez started the scoring in the second inning for the Orange, launching a two-run home run over the scoreboard in left field.

SU head coach Michael Bosch said that even though the staff has only seen her for two weeks now, Martinez, a Cal-State Fullerton transfer, has shown ability behind the plate.

“She had a tough year at Fullerton,” Bosch said. “To come to a new school, a new team, a new state, to have this kind of success is great for her.”

Sammy Fernandez, a sophomore, continued the scoring with a two-out double to right field, scoring senior Danielle Chitkowski. Junior Alyssa Dewes followed, scoring on a wild pitch, which put the Orange ahead 4-0 after two innings.

Cater worked herself into a tight spot in the top of the third, giving up two hits before allowing a two-run single by Le Moyne’s Kirsten Trotta. Cater went on to hit Sabrina Riley with a pitch, but was able to get out of the jam, striking out Kelly Mascari on three straight pitches.

The Orange pushed the lead in the fourth, starting with an RBI single to left field by Dewes. Fernandez hit two-run triple to right field, making it 7-2. Sophomore Maddi Doane followed the onslaught of runs with an RBI single to left.

The Orange continued the rally, loading the bases with only one out on the board. Martinez drew a walk, bringing in yet another run for SU. With the score at 9-2 and the bases still loaded, freshman Hannah Dossett sent a line drive into right field, scoring two.

Dewes, up to bat for the second time in the same inning, struck out swinging, but the damage was already done, and the Orange went into the fifth up 11-2.

Cater worked the fifth with ease for SU, striking out the side and breaking the ten-strikeout threshold.

Senior Lindsey Larkin replaced Cater on the mound in the seventh, and the southpaw sent the Dolphins down in order. She continued her dominance in the eighth, allowing no runs and only one runner on base.

The odd-length game ended midway through the eighth, with Syracuse sealing the victory, 11-2. Cater got the win for the Orange, and Alexis Eastman got the loss for Le Moyne.

For Bosch, these preseason games are worth a lot more than they seem.

“These games are worth three or four practices,” Bosch said, “we have nine new faces, and we’re trying to mix them in and out, and see where they fit best.”