Editorial Board

Student awareness integral to body cams’ success

The Department of Public Safety’s implementation of a body camera program is a policy that needs to be clearly communicated to the student body for it to reach its full potential as a safety measure.

Starting Oct. 1, all 36 armed public safety officers at SU will be required to wear body cameras while on duty. Last year, body cameras were used on a trial basis.

“Our decision to proceed with body cameras was a proactive decision, not a reactive decision,” said newly appointed Department of Public Safety Chief Bobby Maldonado in an interview with The Daily Orange.

The implementation of the body camera program is a positive reflection of the university and will ensure transparency of interaction between public safety officers and the student body. It is an exemplary measure that keeps the university ahead of the curve in light of recent events surrounding law enforcement using excessive force.

In order for the program to function fairly and effectively, the university must work to establish that all students will be aware of the use of recording equipment when interacting with public safety officers on campus as students have the right to know that they may be recorded on SU grounds.

This education process must be thorough, and should potentially involve students acknowledging that they are aware of the program on their MySlice accounts.

Maldonado said the university spent $1,000 per camera for a total of $36,000 spent on body cameras. This investment will prove beneficial in that it functions to create the documentation necessary for full transparency on behalf of both the university and the student body.

The footage, which will be downloaded onto a private server upon competition of each officer’s shift, could be used as evidence by the district attorney to prosecute cases and released for public viewing on a case-by-case basis, as decided by Maldonado. While releasing every requested recording would be excessive, the university must be forthcoming in disclosing footage when necessary.

Though there has never been a DPS-involved shooting on the SU campus, instances of police brutality and resulting protests across the country have been consistent national stories. Implementing body cameras, if students are aware of them, can help DPS avoid the circumstances that surrounded many of those instances.