Arts

Q&A: Mary Karr talks ‘The Art of Memoir’

Syracuse University professor Mary Karr is receiving critical acclaim for her latest book, “The Art of Memoir.” The novel addresses the importance of memoir and acts as a part-how-to guide for aspiring memoirists. In her 24 years teaching in the Creative Writing MFA at Syracuse, Karr has published seven books including three memoirs, “The Liars’ Club,” “Cherry” and “Lit.” Karr took a break from her month-long book tour to talk to The Daily Orange about her latest project, her transition into the writer she is today and what memoirs really mean to her.

The D.O.: What inspired you to write “The Art of Memoir”?

M.K.: They offered me a whole lot of money. I’ve been teaching memoirs for 30 years, at Syracuse for 20 or so. I’ve obviously loved the form for a long time. I’m passionate about memoir and I’ve been teaching it a long time so it’s a natural thing. Basically, they called me up and offered me money, and I thought, “for that amount of money, yeah sure.” This book was not as painful for me to write as my memoirs. This book was about reading and writing memoirs, and so I think it was more intellectually challenging and far less emotionally challenging.

The D.O.: Why are memoirs in particular so special to you?

M.K.: I think I was a lonely child, and I think they made me feel less lonely. I also think they gave me hope, because people survived. Michael Herr lived past the Vietnam War. Maxine Sean-Kingston survived her complicated, Chinese-American childhood. They made me believe I could grow up and get out of the mess I was in, which meant reading for hours in a state of socially sanctioned disassociation, I was in a very difficult family, and reading really took me out of it.

The D.O.: How would you describe your writing style to those who have never read your work?

M.K.: I think my voice is pretty unique. I think every memoirist really who succeeds in the form has to have a very singular specific voice that reflects their inferior and psychological stakes. I’ve been told I have a very distinct voice, and that’s always been one of my goals.

The D.O.: Out of all of your published works, which one do you feel the most proud of?

M.K.: I’m not particularly proud of anything. I mean, I want to be William Shakespeare and so far, I’m failing. I try to be pretty humble — all of my books are as good as I can make them, but I’m never quite satisfied with anything. I think that’s a life of an artist.

The D.O.: When did you know you wanted to be a writer?

M.K.: When I was 5, I used Shakespeare as a booster seat. The story goes that it was the thickest book in our house, and I actually sat on it. I think it came up through my butt that I wanted to be a writer. But, when I was 10, I wrote in my journal, “When I grow up I will write one half poetry and one half autobiography.” Strangely enough, that’s what I’ve done.

The D.O.: How has teaching at SU altered your life?

M.K.: (Syracuse University) has the most extraordinary creative writing programs in the country. All of my colleagues are writers of the first rate. We get sometimes a thousand applications for twelve positions. My graduate students are just off the chain. I think the intellectual conversation I’ve had at Syracuse, based on my colleagues and students, is the best I’ve ever had, anywhere, or else I would go teach somewhere else.

The D.O.: What comes next?

M.K.: I have three things in the works. I have a TV show based on “The Liars Club” and “Lit,” starring Mary Louise Parker, which is in development at Showtime. I also have a book of poems I’m trying to finish, and a book of essays I’m trying to finish. Other than that, teaching full-time, and commuting from New York City, I’m not that busy.

The D.O.: Do you think you’ve been successful in your goals?

M.K.: Not really, no. If I was succeeding at my goals, I wouldn’t be eating Oreos at the sleeve. My goals are so lofty that I manage to never succeed at them, but it always gives me something to hope for.