National

News to know: 10 stories to help you pass a current events quiz (Sept. 1–8)

1. United Airlines chief resigns

United Airlines chief executive Jeff Smisek and two other senior officials stepped down on Tuesday amid an investigation by the U.S. attorney in New Jersey. The airline is being investigated to determine whether it had improperly sought to influence senior officials at the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey.

Oscar Munoz will step in as president and chief executive.

2. Kim Davis released from jail

Kim Davis, the Kentucky county clerk who was jailed for refusing to give marriage licenses to same-sex couples, was released Tuesday after five days in jail. Per the terms of her release, she cannot interfere with her deputies issuing marriage licenses.

3. Baltimore settles with family of Freddie Gray

The city of Baltimore reached a $6.4 million settlement with the family of Freddie Gray, the 25-year-old black man whose death from a spinal cord injury while in police custody set off riots in April.

4. Dentist who killed Cecil the lion returns to work

Walter Palmer, the dentist who killed Cecil the lion near Zimbabwe’s Hwange National Park in July, returned to work Tuesday. The Zimbabwe Conservation Task Force said that Cecil was lured out of an animal sanctuary.

5. Hillary Clinton apologizes for private email

Hillary Clinton apologized for using a private email server while she was secretary of state in an interview on ABC News’ “World News Tonight with David Muir” and said it was a mistake.

6. Pope simplifies marriage annulments

New rules to speed up annulment cases in which neither spouse is contesting the annulment will take effect on Dec. 8, Pope Francis announced. These cases can be heard as soon as 30 days after a couple files an application, and at most within 45 days.

7. ESPN publishes extensive Patriots report

ESPN’s “Outside the Lines” reported that the New England Patriots’ spying was more extensive than the NFL revealed and the NFL’s pursuit of Tom Brady during DeflateGate was to makeup for SpyGate.

8. Trump compares schooling to military service

Donald Trump, a Republican presidential candidate, said his experience at a military school gave him “more training militarily than a lot of the guys that go into the military.”

9. Colbert premieres on ‘The Late Show’

Stephen Colbert premiered as the host of CBS’s “The Late Show” on Tuesday with guests including George Clooney, Jeb Bush and Jon Batiste.

10. U.S. considers taking in more Syrians

With the migrant crisis unfolding in Europe, the White House is considering whether it should accept more Syrian migrants. Germany and Sweden recently urged other European nations to take their fair share of migrants.