University Lectures

Leon Fleisher performs on piano, discusses musical career

Jingyu Wan | Contributing Photographer

Leon Fleisher performed two pieces for the crowd who attended his University Lecture on Tuesday. The first piece was titled “La Puerta del Vino” by Claude Debussy and the second piece was titled “All the Things You Are” by Jerome Kern.

Leon Fleisher’s mother gave him a choice — either become the first Jewish president of the United States or become a great concert pianist.

He chose the latter.

Fleisher, a teacher, conductor and world-renowned concert pianist, filled the lower level of Hendricks Chapel on Tuesday as the first guest for this semester’s University Lecture Series.

“An Evening with Leon Fleisher” began with the viewing of the Oscar-nominated documentary on the life of the 87-year-old conductor.

“Two Hands,” directed by Nathaniel Kahn, told the story of how the concert pianist, who began playing at age 4, was not going to let anything stop him from playing.

Fleisher was unable play the piano for an extended period of time while a cut he had on his right thumb healed, but was back in front of the piano as soon as he could be. However, after 10 months, the pianist realized that it took an enormous amount of energy for him to extend his hand and fingers.

Unable to play, Fleisher turned to conducting, saying that by doing so he discovered that he had a connection to music and not necessarily a connection to the piano.

It was later discovered that Fleisher suffered from a neurological disorder where the brain was unable to communicate with his right hand, rendering him unable to extend his fingers. It was not until after surgery that he was able to play again.

The second part of the lecture allowed for Fleisher to play two pieces for the audience.

The first piece was titled “La Puerta del Vino,” by Debussy.

The second piece, previously agreed upon with Esther Gray, special assistant to the vice chancellor and provost and coordinator of the University Lecture Series, was changed, with Fleisher saying, “Esther, I’d like to play something else.” Fleisher instead played “All the Things You Are” by Jerome Kern.

The recital was followed by a discussion moderated by Ralph Zito, chair for the Department of Drama at SU’s College of Visual and Performing Arts, where the two discussed teaching and conducting.

Fleisher described teaching as both a “sheer joy” and a “challenge.”

“If you are blessed with amorous and questioning students, you have to come up with answers,” he said. “The worst sin of all for teachers is to pass on bad, stale or uninspired information.”

Fleisher also said conducting is an opportunity to be connected with music while also including everyone; by this, he means the orchestra.

“When you think of an orchestra of 70, 80, 90, 100 people who breathe as one — it is truly wondrous,” he said.

The lecture launched a week of events with Fleisher at SU. On Thursday, Fleisher will hold a free music master class as part of the Setnor’s Baker Guest Artist Series. He will also be the guest conductor for the SU Symphony Orchestra on Friday, which will include a performance of Beethoven’s Coriolan Overture.

“The more you live, the more you experience, the more you have to draw upon from that fund of that experience and it to bear on what you’re doing,” Fleisher said.