college of law

LaVonda Reed to chair search for College of Law dean

LaVonda Reed, associate provost for faculty affairs in the College of Law, has been chosen to chair the search for a new dean of the College of Law.

Interim Vice Chancellor and Provost Liz Liddy chose Reed to chair the search, according to an SU News Release. Liddy said in the release that her decision comes at “an exciting and critically important time for the College of Law.”

As a member of the law faculty, LaVonda has a keen understanding of the qualities needed to steer the college in a way that expands on those assets and provides our students with the very best legal education possible,” Liddy said in the release.

Liddy added has areas of strength that it can continue to improve, such as “a highly motivated and deeply talented faculty, a strong student body, robust programmatic initiatives and, of course, a new state-of-the-art facility.”

Reed was on the search committee for a new Syracuse University athletics director earlier this year. She has also served on the Executive Committee for the Operational Excellence portion of Fast Forward Syracuse since last summer.

“Without question, I am looking forward to leading the charge of selecting a dean who will work with the dynamic, dedicated and hardworking faculty and staff to position our law school and our graduates for great success in generations to come,” Reed said in the release.

Reed has been a professor at the College of Law since 2006 and associate provost for faculty affairs since February.

Former dean Hannah Arterian stepped down from her position on Aug 1. after serving as dean for the College of Law for 13 years. Arterian left her position in order “to resume her teaching and scholarly work as a member of the College of Law faculty,” according to the release.

William Banks, Board of Advisers distinguished professor of law and founding director of the Institute for National Security and Counterterrorism at the College of Law, is currently serving as interim dean.

SU hired Korn Ferry, a management consulting firm specializing in executive recruitment,to assist with the dean search, according to the release.

The names of all the members on the search committee for the new College of Law dean will be announced in the next few weeks, according to the release.