Former Syracuse head coach Dick MacPherson honored during game

Chase Guttman | Asst. Photo Editor

Former Syracuse head coach Dick MacPherson was honored in between the first and second quarters of SU's game against Wake Forest on Saturday.

Between the first and second quarter, former Syracuse head coach Dick MacPherson was honored in front 26,670 orange-clad fans in the Carrier Dome.

Scott Shafer, the current Syracuse head coach, decided to break off from the reality of the game in front of him and talk to the man that he told his players they had to win for.

“He means the world to Syracuse,” Shafer said. “Everybody in this community knows it. There’s not a better person. He loves Syracuse, he gave a lot of his life to Syracuse.”

MacPherson went 66-46-4 during his 10-year tenure with Syracuse from 1981-90. His grandsons Macky and Cameron MacPherson both have been or are a part of the program as well. Macky graduated in 2014 and Cameron is a junior tight end for the Orange.

Dick MacPherson apologized to Shafer as he was driven off the field. He said he was sorry for getting in the way when Shafer went over to embrace the former head coach following his ceremony.

“There was a lot going on in that moment,” Cameron MacPherson said. “Both in the game, and with my grandfather. I’m really glad that he was able to make it out there and get a beautiful tribute from this city.”