National

Former Student Association president does not qualify for top 15 in Miss America

Courtesy of Allie Curtis

Allie Curtis won the title of Miss Rhode Island in May, but was eliminated early in the Miss America competition Sunday.

Former Student Association President Allie Curtis did not qualify as one of the top 15 contestants in the Miss America pageant Sunday.

Curtis was crowned Miss Rhode Island on May 30. She was one of 14 contestants in the state competition and entered the program as Miss West Warwick. The win enabled her to enter the Miss America pageant, which took place on Sunday.

As president of the 57th session of SA, Curtis established Syracuse University’s first Elect Her training program. The program encourages young women to become student leaders as a stepping stone for their careers. The initiative aligns with Curtis’ platform for the Miss Rhode Island and Miss America competitions: “Leading Ladies: Equipping Young Women With The Skills to Lead.”

The Curtis Administration faced controversy when Curtis was tried for impeachment, but the assembly ultimately voted against the charge.

Curtis is currently a Master of Public Affairs candidate at Brown University. She plans to begin working for her next master’s degree in administration of justice and homeland security with a focus in cybersecurity and intelligence in fall of 2016.

SU alumna Vanessa Williams, who became the first African-American woman to win Miss America in 1983, was the head judge of the competition. Williams attended SU from 1981 to 1983 as a musical theatre arts major, and graduated in 2008.