University Politics

Former employer of engineering dean no longer under New York state investigation

Courtesy of SU News Services

Teresa Dahlberg, the dean of the College of Engineering and Computer Science, is no longer a part of a New York state investigation into her former employer.

The Cooper Union, the former employer of Syracuse University College of Engineering and Computer Science Dean Teresa Dahlberg, is no longer being investigated by New York state.

The New York City school where Dahlberg served as chief academic officer reached a settlement with the Committee to Save Cooper Union and the Office of the Attorney General of the State of New York, the school announced Wednesday.

In 2014, The Cooper Union decided to charge undergraduate tuition for the first time in its history.

The school was founded in 1859 on the premise that it be “open and free to all.” Last year, citing financial troubles, The Cooper Union began charging tuition.

Because of the financial problems, the president of The Cooper Union put forth a financial sustainability plan, which Dahlberg supported, according to the Wall Street Journal.

New York state Attorney General Eric Schneiderman then investigated the school for making the decision. A lawsuit was also filed against The Cooper Union.

SU announced the hiring of Dahlberg in May, not long after she resigned from The Cooper Union.

Kevin Quinn, SU’s senior vice president for public affairs, said in an email at the time that SU was aware of the investigation and SU did “reference checks at Cooper Union and analysis of the current matter there.”

The New York State Supreme Court must approve the settlement agreement between The Cooper Union, the committee and the attorney general’s office.