No. 44

Floyd Little on No. 44: ‘My grandson is going to be wearing that number’

Logan Reidsma | Photo Editor

Floyd Little insists that his grandson will wear No. 44 when he attends Syracuse.

Syracuse legend Floyd Little said his grandson will wear No. 44 if he plays football for the Orange.

“He’s preparing to wear the number,” Little said. “I knew that the number would at least be coming back for Blaze, so it’s temporarily retired. So the only thing I know is my grandson is going to be wearing that number. He can’t wear it if it’s retired.”

In an interview Monday with The Daily Orange, Little said he feels the No. 44 is a tradition — it’s part of the school’s zip code and its phone systems. The jersey was retired into the rafters nearly 10 years ago, on Nov. 12, 2005 during an on-field pregame ceremony attended by several former football players who wore No. 44.

In May, there was renewed discussion about the status of the jersey after a press conference was held and it was announced “the No. 44 is back.” However days later, the university said the status of the number hadn’t changed.

Little said he personally thinks that the university wanted to retire the numbers of players such as Larry Csonka and Donovan McNabb, but said he feels it maybe couldn’t retire those until it retired No. 44.

Little said his grandson, Blaze, is 10 or 11 years old now. Little said he gave his grandson the helmet and jersey he received during the ceremony held on Nov. 12, 2005.

He added that his grandson is practicing everyday and has seen all of Little’s film from his time with the Denver Broncos. Little said he thinks his grandson might be playing “with three fingers in the dirt,” — referencing how he could be a lineman — but added that Blaze told him he’s getting ready.

“He can’t wear 44 with three fingers in the dirt,” Little said with a laugh.