Field Hockey

Emma Lamison flourishes in 1st season with versatile Syracuse offense

Logan Reidsma | Photo Editor

Emma Lamison has found her niche in the Orange's versatile offense after leaving Northeastern, where she was primarily relied on with the ball.

A year ago, Ange Bradley didn’t know who Emma Lamison was.

On Sept. 12, then-No.2 North Carolina lined up for a penalty corner tied with Syracuse 2-2. The insertion skipped up over Tar Heels’ sticks and the Orange was off. Bursting down the field with the ball, Lamison got the ball at the top of the circle and found Emma Russell who shot and scored.

The goal gave Syracuse a 3-2 lead and the assist came on a goal that, a year ago, Lamison “most likely” would have scored herself. Last season, the junior forward played at Northeastern, and as the leading scorer for the Huskies, Lamison would have been under pressure to make that play.

Now, as a piece in the Syracuse system, Lamison feels free to create for herself — and her teammates.

“Her ability to adapt quickly to our system and be open to learning and being able to finish it on the back end (has really impressed),” Bradley said.

Lamison transferred from Northeastern to Syracuse this season because she wanted to be closer to her Liverpool, New York home.

After scoring nine goals and tallying eight assists in 39 career games at Northeastern, Lamison has contributed immediately in her first season at SU with five goals and two assists in just her first seven games. The junior hopes to continue to be involved in goal-scoring action when No. 2 Syracuse (7-0, 2-0 Atlantic Coast) squares off against No. 4 Virginia (8-0, 2-0 ACC) at 4 p.m. Friday at J.S. Coyne Stadium.

Lamison didn’t have any issues adjusting to her new team, but the change in style of play posed some issues initially. Every practice and game, Lamison becomes more and more accustomed to the quicker play that’s manifested in the ACC.

Bradley said her quick hands have helped her earn the most corners on a team that has taken 56 of them.

On several occasions against the Tar Heels, Lamison took the ball from the left side of the circle, dribbled in and flicked her stick upward. The ball seemed drawn to North Carolina players, hitting them and earning SU valuable corners, one of which led to a Laura Hurff goal.

“She’s a valuable piece of this team already and she’s still just learning the system,” Hurff said. “She’s only going to get better.”

As a forward, Lamison finds herself moving more at Syracuse. The emphasis on moving with her teammates up the field and off of cuts isnt new, but the pieces around her are.

At Northeastern, Lamison didn’t have prolific goal-scorers, as her teammates and defenses were able to focus their attention on her. Now, with forwards like Russell playing beside her, Lamison finds herself open in goal-scoring and passing positions.

For a team that lost three of its top five scorers from last year, the advantage of adding a dynamic, veteran offensive player has been undeniable, Hurff said. It’s much easier to learn a new system with more movement and new players than for a freshman to begin her college career.

Though Bradley didn’t know who she was last year, opponents have certainly taken notice of Lamisons and Syracuse’s success.

“I think that her continued growth in our system is going to be a really big thing that helps Syracuse be in a position in October and November to be where we want to be,” Bradley said. “She’s a big piece and we’re growing together.”