Pop Culture

DiBona: Selena Gomez lacks individuality, charisma in pop music industry

In a world where there are countless blogs, music finding services and the ability to easily share songs, we have access to more music than ever before. With this, pop artists have had to ensure they all have a distinct image and sound that sets them apart in the industry. But not all have succeeded.

Selena Gomez released her latest single “Same Old Love” and much like “Good For You,” the first single from her upcoming album, “Revival,” it’s not particularly bad. But it’s not particularly good either. If there’s one word you can describe Gomez with, it’s “nondescript,” and that’s something an artist can’t afford to be now if they want long-lasting success.

Where many contemporary pop artists have a distinct identity both in their music and public image, there is nothing singular about Selena Gomez. She’s not clever like Taylor Swift, not artsy like Lorde and not sexually mature like Tove Lo. You’ve heard of those celebrities who are “famous for nothing,” but Gomez is “famous as nothing.”

A pop star can be loved or hated, but they have to be known first. Even older generations who might not listen to people like Iggy Azalea or Nicki Minaj know the names and can conjure up a rough idea of their music. But for Gomez, what exactly is there to picture?

She has tried to remedy this recently, but has only hurt herself more. It’s clear almost as soon as it starts that “Good For You” is ripping off a much more original pop star: Lana Del Rey. Everything from the crooning vocals to the lyrics about giving yourself completely to man to featuring a guest rap by A$AP Rocky, who first gained public attention for appearing as a black John F. Kennedy in the music video for Del Rey’s “National Anthem” makes this connection clear.

Now, with “Same Old Love,” she’s ripped off Charli XCX just as much. It clearly takes from her retro synths, repetitive beats and penetrating simple lyrics as well as mimicking her vocal style even down to aping her famous “OH”’s.

Pop music used to be derided for being safe, but now that’s the only thing it can’t be. Perhaps the biggest contrast to Gomez is in her fellow former Disney Channel star Miley Cyrus. Whenever there is some new idea on the public radar, whether it be something as minuscule as twerking or as momentous as transgender rights, she is right there on the frontlines incorporating it into her public identity.

Cyrus is someone who is always proactive in her image, not reactive. Ironically, she probably accomplishes this with the backing of a PR department that invests as much into that as some music team does for Selena Gomez.

This is crucial because the musicians from the past who have survived changing trends have had to alter their images along with their music like David Bowie, Snoop Dogg and Prince, whose chart-topping album “Art Official Age” has a song inspired by a meme about him.

These are the artists a pop star like Gomez needs to learn from. Commercial success is often fleeting. Only those artists who learn to adapt manage to stay in public consciousness.

Mark DiBona is a senior television, radio and film major. His column appears weekly. He can be reached at [email protected] and followed on Twitter @NoPartyNoDisco.