Training Camp

John Raymon stretches during drills and other day 3 notes

Logan Reidsma | Photo Editor

John Raymon (right) was limited in the part of practice that was open to the media on Tuesday.

John Raymon was one of the last players to arrive on the practice field on Tuesday. Though fully dressed, the senior defensive tackle was walking with what looked like a slight limp. He stretched during drills, but when they went to do push-ups he just slumped to the ground and stayed up on his knees with his butt in the air, then slowly got back up.

Both defensive line coach Tim Daoust and defensive coordinator Chuck Bullough referred comment to head coach Scott Shafer, who won’t address the media until after Wednesday’s practice.

Other notes and observations from day three of training camp

The first 20 minutes of Tuesday’s practice were open to the media, and the team did positional drills and stretched during that time. Here is a bulleted breakdown of the day in Syracuse football.

• Defensive back Antwan Cordy didn’t take punts after he did on Monday, and Brisly Estime, Rodney WilliamsJordan Fredericks, Ervin Philips and Dontae Strickland did. Daoust praised the noticeable improvement from Estime in returning punts in the early part of training camp.
  • Kicker Cole Murphy, punter Riley Dixon and freshman long snapper Matt Keller were the first-team field goal unit on Tuesday. Murphy made all three of his field goals. Ryan Norton, Zack Mahoney and Keith Mitsuuchi made up the second team with Norton going 2-for-3. Sterling Hofrichter, Eric Dungey and Nathan Hines made up the third team with Hofrichter making both of his chip shot attempts.
  • The offensive line was working on several different snap counts with offensive line coach Joe Adam. Both Colin Byrne and Cody Conway jumped early, with Adam making sure to let them know. Multiple snap counts is significant, considering the fact that Tim Lester told Syracuse.com last month that the team only used one cadence during the 2014 season.

Web editor Jesse Dougherty, [email protected], contributed reporting to this article