Training Camp

Syracuse Fan Fest: 3 standouts from preseason exhibition

Dave Salanitri | Contributing Photographer

Jordan Fredricks scored two touchdowns during Syracuse's Fan Fest on Saturday. He was one of a few standouts on the evening.

While much was made of ouchdownshe off-field product Syracuse put out at Saturday’s Fan Fest, there were some on-field spectacles as well. Among the standouts were walk-on freshman running back Jacob Hill, freshman running back Jordan Fredericks and redshirt freshman safety Rodney Williams.

The expected main players — quarterback Terrel Hunt, wide receiver Steve Ishmael and linebacker Zaire Franklin — all turned in stellar performances, but it was those less expected that stole the show at SU Soccer Stadium.

Jacob Hill

Head coach Scott Shafer announced the addition of Hill on Monday, and the 5-foot-6, 165-pound running back opened some eyes in the community’s first chance to see the team. Several times, he broke an initial tackle and burst for a couple extra yards after contact.

On arguably the play of the day, Hill broke a tackle from freshman safety Christopher Fredrick down the sideline closest to where the offensive team was standing. He went about 60 yards for a touchdown and just broke the pylon. Almost the entire offensive sideline stepped out onto the field and let out a hesitant cheer before erupting when the referees signaled a touchdown.

“Had a great run there at the end, Jacob’s a young man out of Detroit, and he’s just a great little athlete,” Shafer said. “Was very pleased with his effort … that was a great little run, boy he just kept going and going and going.”

Rodney Williams

At this time last year, Williams was a freshman safety that Shafer said SU planned to play “a bunch” last year. Injuries and a subsequent surgery prevented the promising freshman from seeing the field but with two interceptions on Saturday, he looks to have returned to form.

On the first, sophomore quarterback Austin Wilson rolled to his right and threw a pass nowhere near a receiver down the sideline. Williams easily picked it off and returned it a couple yards before being brought down. On his second, freshman Eric Dungey lofted a pass into the right corner of the end zone and after cornerback Julian Whigham broke up the pass and fell to the ground along with the receiver, Williams was there to corral the ball and brought it out toward the 20-yard line.

“It’s good to see him back out there. He’s got an instinct, ever since he’s been here he’s made interceptions,” Shafer said. “He’s always around the ball.”

Jordan Fredericks

Jordan Fredericks’ two scores on the ground and handful of broken tackles elicited several celebratory bellows from wide receivers coach Bobby Acosta on the sideline.

“Jordan Fredericks, two tocuhdowns, I thought he ran the ball pretty good,” Shafer said. “And some of his runs were up against the 1s too so that was good to see him get knocked back and bounce back.”