Training Camp

Syracuse Fan Fest: Orange battles injury issues

Dave Salanitri | Contributing Photographer

Julian Whigham lies on the ground in pain following an injury during the Fan Fest practice at SU Soccer Stadium.

Julian Whigham leaped in the de-facto SU Soccer Stadium endzone and fell awkwardly. He trudged off the field, limping on his right leg with the assistance of Syracuse trainers. One of last season’s starting cornerbacks and one of only a few experienced members of a youthful defense could hardly walk.

Head coach Scott Shafer said after the Fan Fest that he had yet to receive a prognosis on his senior CB, but Whigham was seen afterward smiling and taking selfies with SU fans. He had his knee wrapped in ice, but was walking under his own power.

“I was glad to see he walked off,” Shafer said.

Other injury notes form Fan Fest:

• Wide receiver Alvin Cornelius was held out of the Fan Fest practice with what Shafer called a “pulled muscle in his lower body.” Running back Dontae Strickland was also held out with a similar issue. Shafer said he expects both to be back in the coming days.

• Nose tackle Kayton Samuels, who was wearing pads and a helmet, was also held out. Shafer said he expected his return in the coming days.

• Defensive end Ron Thompson, who Shafer said would be out a couple of weeks, was seen before practice moving around on crutches.

• Defensive end Luke Arciniega limped off the field during one of the plays.

• Linebacker Alryk Perry was in sweatpants before the exhibition. He had a brace on his right arm.