Movies

Stevens: August Netflix breakdown

From month to month, Netflix changes what’s available to stream. Here are a few recently added TV shows and movies to watch this month, and a few movies that have been on Netflix for a while but sometimes go unnoticed.

The Recently Added:

“Doctor Who” Season 8

Peter Capaldi’s first season as the Doctor consists of 12 fantastic episodes. A show once berated for its terrible special effects, “Doctor Who” now leads the TV world with convincing CGI monsters and aliens. The show’s ability to regenerate itself with new material every few years goes unparalleled.

“The Hurt Locker”

This breakout film for Jeremy Renner earned six Oscars in 2010, including Best Picture and Best Director (Kathryn Bigelow). It’s a different kind of war movie; very slow but the suspense keeps you in it. This film fits into recent movie history in interesting ways: its box office run was one of the worst in Best Picture history, it had one of the earliest releases ever for a Best Picture Winner (March 2009), and Kathryn Bigelow was the first woman to ever win Best Director.

The Under-watched:

“In Bruges”

Martin McDonagh might not be a household name, but the playwright/filmmaker generates some of the craziest stories out there. This 2008 film stars members of the cast of the “Harry Potter” series (Brendan Gleeson, Clémence Poésy, and Ralph Finnes) alongside Colin Farrell in a murderous, depressing and darkly funny movie that cannot be placed into a genre.

“The Warriors”

Ever wonder why Shaq always asked, “Can you dig it?” Find the answer in this movie from 1979. Based in the mess that was New York City in the 1970s, this film focuses around one gang’s attempt to escape from Manhattan and get to Coney Island before being hunted down by the rest of the city’s gangs. None of the actors are big name stars, so they’re all convincing as no-name gang members. “The Warriors” remains a classic film that doesn’t get talked about enough.

“Bernie”

Richard Linklater, director of last summer’s “Boyhood”, teamed up with Jack Black, Shirley MacLaine and pre-McConaissance Mathew McConaughey to tell the crazy true story of a simply lame man who almost got away with murder. With what seems like more truth than some true stories, it has few moral arguments but shows a very interesting look into a small Texas town.

“Annie Hall”

Despite this film’s brilliance, Netflix rarely suggests anybody to watch it. One of the early and smartest use of breaking the fourth wall, a realistic couple and Woody Allen being Woody Allen. “Annie Hall” is a true classic and an influence on all modern movies and shows.

Thankfully, not that many big names are leaving Netflix in August. Check back in September to see what you must watch before Netflix removes it from its lineup.

Kyle Stevens is a sophomore advertising major. You can email him at [email protected] or reach him on Twitter at @kstevs_.