Shaw Hall completes 4 phases of renovation during summer

Logan Reidsma | Photo Editor

(FROM LEFT) Erik Mott and Forrest Todd, employees of Lemoyne Interiors Inc., work on renovations to the Euclid Avenue side of Shaw Hall. After four summers, four phases and extensive makeovers and repairs all around, planned renovations to Shaw Hall were completed this summer.

After four summers, four phases and extensive makeovers and repairs all around, planned renovations to Shaw Hall were completed this summer.

Shaw, the oldest occupied residence hall went through an extensive renovation in order to better organize the building, which had circulation and configuration challenges, said Rex Giardine, assistant director of capital projects for the Office of Campus Planning, Design and Construction. Shaw houses freshmen, sophomores and the STEM learning community, and the changes affect both the living space and the accompanying dining hall.

It was decided six years ago that the residence hall had be updated, breaking the project up into four summer phases in order to add the entry and complete all of the work necessary, he said.

A new entrance is one of the biggest changes Shaw Hall received this summer. Students returning to campus will notice that the building’s entrance, which was once located on Comstock Avenue, has been relocated to Euclid Avenue.

“The transition should be very easy as the new entry facing Euclid is a natural approach to the building with more ample short term, on-street parking than was available on Comstock Avenue,” Giardine said in an email.

The change in the entrance will provide more space and clearer, separate paths to the dining hall and dorm parts of the building, he said. The entry will better organize the building to improve conditions for all residents, Giardine said. In addition, there will be an entry plaza featuring a seat wall, which can be seen as residents approach the south side of the building.

The new entrance to the entire hall includes an entrance to the dining center, said Lynne Marie Mowers, secretary to the director of SU Food Services, in an email. This will give the dining hall a dedicated stairway and elevator from the street level of Euclid.

Prior to the new entrance, students had to enter and walk through parts of the residence hall in order to reach the dining hall. The new entrance will make it easier for students who do not live in Shaw Hall to reach Shaw Dining Center by lessening congestion and enhancing privacy in the residential areas, Mowers said.

“The renovation will hopefully increase the usage of Shaw Dining by non-residents,” Mowers said. “The goal is to increase use of Shaw Dining to alleviate the crowds at Ernie Davis Dining.”

While the new renovations done to Shaw Hall mostly affected the residence hall, Shaw Dining did receive new electronic menu boards.

“This summer has primarily been renovations associated with common spaces for the residents along the route from the new ground floor entry,” said Eileen Simmons, director of Housing, Meal Plans and I.D. Card Services.

Some of the changes include a new main desk, a new mailroom and mailboxes, new staff offices, a two-story lounge, a recreation space and a large meeting and multipurpose room.

Since Shaw Hall houses the STEM learning community, a series of small team rooms for group work or study were also added. Simmons said the renovations done there should serve to complement and improve the program.

“The renovations are complete for now,” Giardine said, “but there may be some minor exterior masonry and site improvements in the coming summers.”