Training Camp

Scott Shafer discusses freshmen playing hybrid position and other notes

Logan Reidsma | Photo Editor

Scott Shafer said that Dontae Strickland played a similar position to the hybrid in high school, and listed his name as someone that might need to step up for Syracuse in that role.

When Syracuse head coach Scott Shafer told incoming freshman running back Dontae Strickland that he might need to help fill SU’s new express back role, Strickland excitedly told Shafer that he already had a similar experience with that in high school.

“‘I know,’” Shafer told him. “‘I remember the tape too.’”

Strickland, though not on the hybrid depth chart, might need to be after Ashton Broyld was dismissed from the team for a violation of team policies on July 28. Syracuse lists sophomore Erv Philips first at that position, with junior Ben Lewis second and fellow incoming freshman Tyrone Perkins at No. 3 — though he is recovering from a torn ACL suffered in September of 2014.

He said both Perkins and Strickland can play the position “easily.”

“It’ll be interesting to see how those guys develop over the course of week one and week two,” Shafer said. “Once we come back from Fort Drum, we’ll see where we are. But I do think we have some talented kids that can bring some things to that position.”

Quarterback Terrel Hunt said he was disappointed that Broyld, someone who he called a brother, was dismissed from the team, but acknowledged that it wouldn’t change the plan or the expectations for Syracuse’s offense.

Shafer said that at the bare minimum, the young guys will create mismatch problems for opposing defenses.

“We saw those kids play on both sides of the ball,” Shafer said. “We saw them run the ball, catch the ball, return punts. I think we have some very good athletes at that position.”

Other camp notes

• Senior tight end Jacob Green will not be with the team this season after tearing his ACL playing pick-up basketball
  • Broyld will stay at Syracuse to take classes despite being dismissed from the program
  • Senior offensive lineman Michael Lasker will be limited in practice as he recovers from shoulder surgery
  • Four-star safety commit Marquise Blair is still awaiting NCAA approval on his eligibility and is not currently with the team