Regal Entertainment Group to check bags upon admission into movie theaters

Regal Entertainment Group introduced a bag-checking policy for its movie theaters, including Regal Destiny USA and two other theaters around Syracuse.

Regal Entertainment Group, which owns Regal Destiny USA and two other theaters around Syracuse, recently introduced a bag-checking policy.

In the last three years, there have been three shootings at movie theaters across the country. In 2012, 12 people were killed by a gunman in Aurora, Colorado. Last month, three, including the shooter, were killed in Lafayette, Louisiana. Police killed a gunman in Antioch, Tennessee earlier this month.

None of the theaters were owned by Regal. Nevertheless, Regal amended its admittance procedures, reading,

“Security issues have become a daily part of our lives in America. Regal Entertainment Group wants our customers and staff to feel comfortable and safe when visiting or working in our theatres. To ensure the safety of our guests and employees, backpacks and bags of any kind are subject to inspection prior to admission. We acknowledge that this procedure can cause some inconvenience and that it is not without flaws, but hope these are minor in comparison to increased safety.”

Previously, Regal had a policy that it “reserves the right” to check bags before admittance.

It is unclear whether Regal employees will check every bag that enters its theaters.

Although moviegoers may find being asked to open their bags and purses an inconvenience, those who have flown have encountered similar security measures, a national security expert says.

Bill Smullen, director of the national security studies program in the Maxwell School of Citizenship and Public Affairs, compared the checks to those the Transportation Security Administration conducts at airports, adding that consumers should not have to fear disgruntled people with violent intentions.

Smullen said not only is Regal showing it cares about its customers, but the new policy is a matter of sound business. He explained that by checking bags, Regal now has a way to enforce its no outside food or drink policy.

Smullen attributes the recent rise in mass shootings to increasing anger and discontent among the general public.

“I don’t think it says a lot of good things about American society,” Smullen said.

He added that if people feel they can take out that anger through violence and harming others, society moving toward providing additional safeguards is a necessary step.

Said Smullen: “I think the industry is saying, ‘Let’s do it the right way.’”