Marshall Street

M. Street Brick Oven Pizzeria to open in place of Crepe and Gelato Blvd.

A new pizzeria is coming to Marshall Street.

M. Street Brick Oven Pizzeria is moving into the space previously occupied by Crepe and Gelato Blvd., which has been closed since the end of November 2014. The move toward renovations on the restaurant space on Marshall Street began in April.

The pizzeria, which is co-owned by Syracuse University alumni Dave Jacobs and Gregory Allen, will feature brick-infused pies.

“We wanted to know when our time is right,” said Jacobs, a member of the Class of 1979. “We put all of our visions together and they just made sense. We had the right people and we were all about moving forward.”

The idea for the restaurant came from Jacobs, who also owns Shirt World, an SU clothing store that is also located on Marshall Street.

“We’re excited to get everyone on board and be a part of Marshall Street,” Jacobs said.

Jacobs said the restaurant plans to serve specialty New York-style, thin-crust pizzas with the signature pie being a five-cheese pizza with mozzarella, provolone, white cheddar, Parmesan and Romano cheese.

Besides the pizza, which will be served by the pie or the slice, M. Street Brick Oven Pizzeria will also serve meatball sandwiches. For dessert, the pizzeria is signing a contract with a small company that makes large, thick cookies that have the consistency of cookie dough.

“We’ve always wanted to go into the restaurant and pizza business,” Jacobs said. “Hopefully everyone loves our product.”

Jacobs said the price-point for the pizzas would be competitive with other restaurants on Marshall Street. While Jacobs said the pizzeria’s hours are not finalized, an application for a permit for the restaurant filed by Jacobs said he plans to be open seven days a week from 9 a.m. to 3 a.m.

M. Street Brick Oven Pizzeria looked into adding alcohol to their restaurants menu, but scratched the idea after talking with Chancellor Kent Syverud, Jacobs said. He added that they decided not to offer alcohol at the restaurant in order to help keep Marshall Street a safe place off campus.

Jacobs said the pizzeria is dedicated to focusing on the menu items they have chosen to open with and will not plan to serve alcohol in the future.

“We’re really proud to be here and have the atmosphere of the university,” Jacobs said.