Women's Lacrosse

Kelly Cross, women’s lacrosse player that crashed into Mount steps, no longer enrolled at SU

Courtesy of Cuse.com

Kelly Cross is no longer enrolled at Syracuse. She was suspended from the women's lacrosse team last season following an incident in which she crashed into the Mount steps.

Kelly Cross, the women’s lacrosse player driving the car that hit the Mount Olympus steps in late March is no longer enrolled at Syracuse University, an SU Athletics spokeswoman confirmed.

Cross, a junior midfielder, crashed a white Ford Explorer into four support poles, sending a newspaper box about 25 feet. The crash was reported at 2:27 a.m., and Cross checked into Upstate Hospital between 2:30 a.m. and 4:30 a.m. The cause of the crash is still unknown. The morning of the crash, a DPS officer said Cross was lucky to be alive. The stairs closed temporarily for repairs, but eventually reopened.

Four days after the crash, Cross was indefinitely suspended and did not play any games with SU after her suspension. She was not allowed to travel to with the team, but was allowed to practice.

“Kids may make mistakes, but we still stick behind them and we don’t isolate them and throw them to the curb,” SU head coach Gary Gait said.

Cross had started every game for the Orange until her crash and had been fourth on the team in goals (14), assists (six) and points (20) at the time of the crash. Cross’ sister, Julie Cross, had committed to play women’s lacrosse at SU, but it could not be confirmed whether she is still enrolled at SU. A freshman named Julie Cross is listed on Syracuse University’s directory, however.

Two calls to the Cross family have gone unanswered.