crime

Hayes McGinley, suspended Syracuse lacrosse player, no longer enrolled at SU

Hayes McGinley, who pleaded guilty to two counts of harassment in the second degree in April, is no longer enrolled at Syracuse University, he confirmed in a text message to The Daily Orange on Monday.

“I was not suspended from SU, nor was I kicked off the lacrosse team,” McGinley said. “I am at a point where I want to explore other options for myself academically and athletically. That is why I un-enrolled at Syracuse.

“I have a ton of respect and love for my coaches and teammates at Syracuse, but ultimately I feel I can be more successful in a different environment.”

McGinley was arrested in March after he punched two Insomnia Cookies employees in the face after he tried to get into the female employee’s car, insisting that his friends were inside. Following an argument, he hit her and another employee before police arrived to arrest him, police said. He was suspended from the lacrosse team a day later for an unspecified violation of team rules.

In a statement he issued through his attorney following his guilty plea, McGinley admitted to being intoxicated and apologized for the incident.

“I take my role as a student athlete very seriously and I pray I am given a second chance,” he said in the statement. “I am working very hard to regain respect from everyone in my life.”

McGinley said on Monday that he is currently in the process of sorting out his plans for the upcoming academic year.