5 takeaways from Syracuse football’s Week 1 depth chart

Logan Reidsma | Photo Editor

Wide receiver Brisly Estime (9) was listed as a starter alongside Steve Ishmael on Syracuse's Week 1 two-deep depth chart.

With its season opener against Rhode Island six days away, Syracuse released its Week 1 depth chart on Saturday.

The two-deep list includes 24 players with starting experience and senior center Rob Trudo leads the Orange with 33 previous starts.

Here are some quick observations from the depth chart:

• Walk-on senior right guard Seamus Shanley is listed as the starting right guard ahead of redshirt freshman Aaron Roberts. Shanley was listed as Roberts’ backup and is the shortest offensive lineman on the two-deep depth chart. Throughout training camp, SU head coach Scott Shafer hasn’t mentioned Shanley as someone who is standing out.
  • Sophomore Austin Wilson and freshman Eric Dungey are both listed as second-string quarterbacks. Sophomore AJ Long was limited throughout practice with a right-hand injury and last week Shafer said he can’t be in the quarterback competition if he’s not healthy.
  • Junior wide receiver Brisly Estime is projected to start opposite sophomore Steve Ishmael. He missed seven games last year due to injury but has impressed in the portions of practice open to the media. Estime jumped over junior Alvin Cornelius to take one of the top receiver spots.
  • Sophomore cornerback Corey Winfield is listed ahead of junior Wayne Morgan at one of the corner spots. Morgan was ahead of Winfield on the preseason depth chart, but Morgan is coming off an injury in which he missed the final nine games of the year.
  • Freshman Kielan Whitner is listed as a backup strong safety behind sophomore Antwan Cordy while redshirt freshman Rodney Williams and sophomore Chauncey Scissum are listed as the free safeties. It’s the same as the preseason depth chart, but defensive coordinator Chuck Bullough has said that a freshman safety will likely be in a rotation of four with the other three returning players.