Schools and Colleges

Falk College continues move to different location

Danny Mantooth | Copy Chief

The David B. Falk School of Sport and Human Dynamics began relocating to White and MacNaughton Halls last year. The move will continue this fall.

The David B. Falk College of Sport and Human Dynamics is preparing to welcome its students to a new home.

The school began the process of relocating to White and MacNaughton Halls last year and as of the week before classes started, only the Nutrition and Food Studies departments have yet to complete the move, said Michele Barrett, director of communications for the Falk school, in an email.

The college had previously planned on the Food Studies and Nutrition departments moving in this summer and fall.

White Hall currently houses the following departments: Office of the Dean, Advancement/Alumni, Information Technology, Admissions, Social Work, Public Health and Child and Family Studies.

MacNaughton Hall houses the Sport Management department, the Office of Student Services and the College Research Center.

The Marriage and Family Therapy department will remain at Peck Hall in downtown Syracuse.

Barrett said the new, centralized location provides a home base as well as “opportunities for faculty in the various disciplines to be engaged with each other and to interact and collaborate with students.”

A new Nutrition Assessment, Counseling, and Education Center will allow students and faculty to study and develop simulations enhancing the overall nutrition curriculum, Barrett explained. Additionally, sport management students will have access to a lab dedicated to the technology of sports and stadium event operations and a classroom with technology associated with ticketing sales.

Kim Desmond, an assistant in the Office of Advancement/Alumni, said the school expects to complete the move by spring 2016, with the Nutrition and Food Studies departments to finish moving over winter break.

Students will largely not be affected by continuing construction, though. When the fall semester starts, Kim Desmond, an assistant in the Office of Advancement and Alumni, said all the classrooms should be ready to go. The final touches will be collecting additional furniture and doing final cleanings.

As for the buildings themselves, Desmond said they can be confusing for students unfamiliar with their layout. MacNaughton and White Halls are only connected by the first and second floors. Students entering either building from the Quad behind Hendricks Chapel will be on the third floor of either building.

“We do know that’s a problem,” Desmond said.

However, she added that the school is looking into more signage and way-finding, especially with the school going from being scattered across campus to all centralized in two buildings.