Music

Damle: Five workout songs to beat the Freshman 15

Depending on who you are, math is either a blessing or a hassle. But especially to freshmen in college, the number 15 is ominous, particularly when attributed to a steady weight gain — a phenomenon popularly known as the “freshman 15.”

The freshman 15 is common but avoidable, especially with a good workout playlist. Unfortunately, the workout aspect is still fundamental in keeping the dreaded troll of weight gain at bay, although the playlist part is pretty much great at any time. Workouts (and motivating yourself to even start the workout in the first place) can be hard; good music helps them go by faster. The power of music can even pump you up into hitting the gym on a day when you’re feeling particularly lazy.

Half the battle is mental, so listening to music that quite literally talks about exercising can completely change your game. To improve the strength of your workout playlist game (and hopefully get you on your feet, here’s a compilation of songs that get you in the mindset to exercise.

“The New Workout Plan”- Kanye West

In 2004, Kanye West released “The New Workout Plan” to the world. The song’s satirical lyrics are more of a commentary on the values we place on men and women (i.e., men for their income, women for their physical appearance). That being said, the title itself and some of the lyrics at least get you thinking about working out. In Kanye’s words, “One and two and three and four and get them sit-ups right and tuck your tummy tight and do your crunches like this.”

“Move Your Feet”- Junior Senior

To pump you up and make you want to get out of bed on your own (which, gasp, is somehow possible), Junior Senior’s “Move Your Feet” motivates both lyrically and sonically. The song starts at an energy level of nine, gets to level 10 within 10 seconds, and stays there for the next three minutes. It’ll not only make you want to jump out of bed, but will get you to power through your workout, from beginning to end.

“Bucky Done Gun”- M.I.A.

One of the best ways to hype yourself up is to listen to music with fast, heavy drumbeats. M.I.A.’s “Bucky Done Gun” is a rhythmic rollercoaster and the lyrics she spits are no less adrenaline-boosting. She quite literally yells at you to “get crackin’, get, get crackin,” and boasts about how her “stamina can take it, gymnastics super fit, muscle in the gun clip.” If you’re going through a particularly rough part of a workout, she seems to understand, conceding that “the fire done burn.”

“Fergalicious”- Fergie (feat. will.i.am)

In 2006, Fergie blessed us all with “Fergalicious.” With its rapid, bee-swarm-like beat, the song is a great way to initiate a workout. While the lyrics aren’t necessarily about going to the gym to get healthy, she at least references it in one of the most famous lyrics in the song, saying, “my body stay vicious, I be up
in the gym, just working on my fitness.”

“Eye of the Tiger”- Survivor

This song may be the most famous pump-up song of all time and the best workout initiator. It is easily the most triumphant track to finish your workout to. Basically, it is applicable to all points of your workout — from your pre-workout to those last few heinous minutes before you start your cool down and to life in general. Listening to a song by a band named Survivor is pretty much a sure-fire way to get yourself to pull through.

Whether you’re a self-proclaimed gym rat, or someone who fears working out more than the prospect of Paris Hilton releasing another album, good music is a sure-fire way to boost your mood and get you to make the most of exercising on campus. It can be hard to self-motivate once you’re on your own at school, but a solid gym playlist makes all the difference. Or if anything, join a Zumba class, which, especially on a college campus, is bound to have good music.

Isha Damle is a junior television, radio and film major. She rarely knows the actual lyrics to songs, but her version of the lyrics are usually better. She can be reached at [email protected] or on Twitter at @ishadamle.