Movies

Benjamin: A movie guide to college

Welcome, freshmen, to Syracuse University. After four years of slugging through high school and living with your parents, you are finally living the dream on your own. The question is, what exactly is that dream? Now I’m sure some of you have older siblings and friends who have told you all about the college experience, but many of us learn about college through the movies. In the history of film, we have seen several depictions of what college is like, and I’m sure many of you have these movies in mind with your first days on campus. Thinking of choosing a movie as a guide for your time here at Syracuse? Let’s go over what our options are:

“Animal House”

Courtesy of Universal Studios

This film is often thought to be the college movie. The parties are insane, and everyone has a great time. If you want to come to Syracuse and live the life of “Animal House,” you will certainly have that opportunity through Greek life, but keep in mind the whole experience of college. If you want to drink the next four years away, please don’t let me stop you. Will you have fun? Absolutely. Will your liver be happy with you? Probably not. Will your grades be good? I wouldn’t count on it. But if you came to college to have some fun, raise your red Solo cup and have a party.

“Monsters University”

Courtesy of Disney Pixar

So, you want to join Greek life, but “Animal House” seems a bit extreme for you? No worries, you can also take the route of “Monsters University.” Here, you will plan to take your academics seriously, but also dabble into the social aspects of Greek life. Be sure to avoid some of Mike Wazowski’s mistakes though, and come into college with an open mind. Don’t be blinded by the fact you want to be a scarer (or whatever your chosen occupation is) and block out other passions that may emerge. College is a time for you to restart, so go with the flow socially — your friends don’t have to be “cool,” you just have to enjoy them.

“The Social Network”

SN_IT_1-SHT_FRND_1

Courtesy of Sony Pictures

In 2015, there are more opportunities than ever to be entrepreneurial in college. There are a plethora of resources available to you if you want to start a business, real or online. If you are interested in social media, there are always companies hiring for ambassadors, which is a great way to get involved. In fact, the School of Information Studies will probably even help you with the details if you decide you want to be the next Mark Zuckerberg. With that said though, as we saw in “The Social Network,” Zuckerberg’s time in college was not all sunshine and roses. At the end of the day, remember how many great entrepreneurs failed before they succeeded. And if you do succeed, you are never too cool for school. You are here to be a student, and that includes classes, as boring as they may be, and new people, as silly as you may find them.

“Drumline”

Courtesy of 20th Century Fox

If you came to Syracuse to play in the marching band and then marry Mariah Carey like this film’s protagonist, I’m not sure how well that will work out, but anything can happen, even if it didn’t work out for Nick. But, if you are passionate about any activity, like Nick Cannon’s love of marching band, there is an opportunity for success. But remember, even though you are a freshman and you might have to work your way up the ladder, don’t think of yourself as “just a freshman.” You can think of yourself as a cattle when you get moo-ed at on frat row on Friday night, but you are not “just a freshman.” You can work your way up through any group or organization, but it could take a lot of time and dedication.

“Legally Blonde”

hd-hi-res-chick-flicks-legally-blonde

Courtesy of Type A Films and Marc Platt Productions

Before Elle Woods went to Harvard for law school, she was an undergraduate at UCLA just having the time of her life. She was involved in her sorority and fell in love with the objectively dreamy Warner Huntington III. She eventually goes to law school to get him back, but ultimately finds a new bae in Emmett Forrest. Now many of you are coming to college with high school sweethearts. I’m sure you’ve been told advice you did not want to hear on this topic time and time again, but the most important thing is just to keep an open mind. You can stay with that special someone if you think it will work, but be sure to realize when it isn’t. You are very busy here, and you might want this time for yourself. Additionally, if you are coming to college with the intention of these four years being only for you, remember to keep your eyes and heart open, because you never know who you are going to find.

These films, among many others, have given us an idea of what college is like, but within a week of being at Syracuse, you will be shocked at how different your life is compared to the experiences on screen. At the end of the day, everyone has a different experience, and though you can use these movies as template, you should seek out to create your own movie in college. You can join a band or join a fraternity, you can join both, or join neither. Your college experience has been green-lit, as they say in Hollywood. Now you just have to bring the action. See you on the big screen.

Erik Benjamin is a sophomore television, radio and film major. You can email him at [email protected] or follow him @embenjamin14 on Twitter.