Back to School

Back to school shopping: Drop these from your list

Sara Swann | Asst. News Editor

Cut your shopping bill in half and save the ache of carrying bulky items, like televisions, up the stairs by watching movies and shows on video streaming services like Netflix.

This is the sixth installment in a back to school shopping series that will appear on Fridays on The Daily Orange website until the fall semester starts. The series is designed to help students and parents weigh the prices and benefits of various dorm room necessities and accessories. This week, we looked at the things you won’t need in your dorm.

Printer

There are so many printers scattered accessibly throughout campus, from libraries to dorms to the Schine Student Center, that you won’t miss having your own. Save your valuable desk space as well as the cost of the printer and restocking ink and paper. Just make sure not to put off printing an assignment until right before turning it in — you won’t want to be stuck in a jam if the computers aren’t available and working in the five minute window before class.

Vacuum cleaner

Fortunately, the SU dorms have vacuum cleaners that you can check out from the main desk to return after you clean your room. Consider a vacuum cleaner one less thing to buy and/or pack. However, germaphobes and neat freaks may still want to bring their own since the dorm’s vacuum cleaners are not the best quality.

TV

There isn’t much room for a TV in a dorm unless you’re living in a quad, and you’ll have less time to flick through channels than you expect. A more convenient way to watch the tube while away at school is to use streaming services like Netflix or HBO Go on a laptop or iPad, if that’s not how you’re watching already.

Large furniture

When you live in a room as tiny as a dorm, every square inch of floor space is precious. Don’t waste that space on a silly futon that takes up half of the room. Instead, let your bed double-function as couch with some decorative pillows, and if you absolutely need another spot in your room to chill, bring a small bean bag.

Three-ring binders

Because all of your teachers use Blackboard to organize course materials, paper notes have become a thing of the past (for the most part). Cut Mother Earth and your wallet some slack and start college off as paper free as possible. Keep a simple paper folder just to turn in printed assignments.